PDA

View Full Version : I'm off to Asia

Sulla the Dictator
12-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm headed to Manilla and Hong Kong for 12 days, meeting with some potential buyers. Has anyone been to either of these places?

I've heard Hong Kong is a great place to have a suit tailored. Has anyone tried this, or could recommend a tailor there?

Dr. Gutberlet
12-08-2006, 07:20 PM
While in Hong Kong, be sure to check out the Kumite.

Helios Panoptes
12-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Funderbunked can tell you where to procure high end ladyboys in those locations, I'm sure.

Hachiko
12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
While in Hong Kong, be sure to check out the Kumite.
Or at least the Kinjite. Bronson FTW!

sugartits
12-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Are you going to have a local guide you around Hong Kong? Friends of mine from there say it's a bad idea to go around alone if you are foreign.

Sulla the Dictator
12-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Are you going to have a local guide you around Hong Kong? Friends of mine from there say it's a bad idea to go around alone if you are foreign.

I'm staying in the financial districts of both places.

sugartits
12-08-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm staying in the financial districts of both places.

Make sure you venture out and try the 'stinky tofu' :rofl: ...well supposedly there are 'stinky tofu' vendors everywhere, like hotdog carts in America. Sounds like a fun trip.

Hachiko
12-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Has anyone tried this, or could recommend a tailor there?
Ya, Big Ming's 5-12 Kaiser Estate, HungHom, Kowloon.
Tell him Hachi sent you.

Geist
12-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Sounds awesome Sulla. Be sure to do some kind of Lost in Translation karoake scene if you want to bang the hot lonely chick in the bar.

Daniel Shays
12-08-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm headed to Manilla You mean, Manila?
I'm staying in the financial districts of both places. Good idea, lest you be held for ransom or shot by the New People's Army in the countryside.

Richard Parker
12-08-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm headed to Manilla and Hong Kong for 12 days, meeting with some potential buyers. Has anyone been to either of these places?

Have been to HK twice. It is a big version of Toronto's Chinatown. :D

My last visit was in 1996, much has changed since then.

I've heard Hong Kong is a great place to have a suit tailored. Has anyone tried this, or could recommend a tailor there?

Apparently there are a lot of good inexpensive Indian tailors. This guy is pretty famous, a banker friend of mine in Japan gets his suits made here.
http://www.samstailor.com/

Sulla the Dictator
12-08-2006, 08:31 PM
If politicians and celebrities are getting their suits tailored there, its probably a bit more than I was hoping to spend. :p

Johnson
meeting with some potential buyers.

Of... what?

Sulla the Dictator
Ya, Big Ming's 5-12 Kaiser Estate, HungHom, Kowloon.
Tell him Hachi sent you.

Thank you sir. :)

Sulla the Dictator
12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Of... what?

Real estate.

Donny the Punk
12-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Michael Palin had a suit tailored for him in Hong Kong while filming Around the World in Eighty Days - you may want to check that out. It's worth watching anyway.

Sulla the Dictator
12-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Michael Palin had a suit tailored for him in Hong Kong while filming Around the World in Eighty Days - you may want to check that out. It's worth watching anyway.

How much? I've heard that you can get excellent work done for $200. Is this the case or tourist exaggeration?

Donny the Punk
12-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure, it's been a while since I saw it. I'll ask my roommate, since he's from there and his parents go back to visit for whole months out of the year, and report back.

Sulla the Dictator
12-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure, it's been a while since I saw it. I'll ask my roommate, since he's from there and his parents go back to visit for whole months out of the year, and report back.

You're a gentleman and a scholar, Pot. :)

Fade the Butcher
12-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Have fun. If you can, snap some pics.

Sulla the Dictator
12-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Have fun. If you can, snap some pics.

I missed the typhoon in the Philippines by two weeks. :p

Berianidze
12-08-2006, 09:59 PM
what is the general attitude of the Philippine people towards Americans? Is it generally considered a safe-haven for American tourists?

BTW, from what I know of the Philippine Communist Party it would be best (for your sake) to heed Daniel Shay's advice!

Sulla the Dictator
12-08-2006, 10:14 PM
what is the general attitude of the Philippine people towards Americans? Is it generally considered a safe-haven for American tourists?

Its pretty safe in Manila. The places you guys are talking about are further south. Close to the muslim populations, surprise surpise.

BTW, from what I know of the Philippine Communist Party it would be best (for your sake) to heed Daniel Shay's advice!

Considering the fact that the police in Manila carry automatic weapons, I'm fairly certain I'll be ok.

Never know though. Thats what makes it exciting.

Carlos Danger
12-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Don't worry Sulla, I'm sure all of our members will contribute generously to your ransom fund :D

FreeWhiteMan
12-09-2006, 01:03 AM
So are you gonna stop in and see Glenn Miller's first true love and his mixed love child? Maybe you can stop in at the Missouri White House and pick up his Christmas present to her. Save him on the postage.

Kriger
12-09-2006, 03:48 AM
Sounds like an interesting trip, Sulla. Enjoy yourself and take care.

Donny the Punk
12-09-2006, 06:29 AM
On the Kowloon Peninsula, there is a side-street called Morley Road which hosts six or seven tailors' shops run by Indian businessmen. These places have very fast turnarounds - you show up to get your measurements taken and pick your fabric, and can return for your first fitting within one or two days. Completion of the suit usually takes no more than two or three. Fifteen shirts can be bought for the cost of about three in North America, and a suit will run you around $200 Canadian or less. You can also get some very nice warm-weather fabrics (the island is quite hot) rather than just cotton or wool.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/potyondi/map.jpg

This is a rough map of the area. From HK Island you can either take a ferry or (easier) the MTR - mass transit rail - system to the Tsim SHa Tsui station, shown as a red dot. There's a mosque right next to the station, shown in green, and both are a stone's throw from Morley Road.

I'm also told that if this doesn't help, asking for a tailor's with 'quick turnaround' is cant for 'place to buy cheap suits'.

Sulla the Dictator
12-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Thanks Potyondi. This is being printed as I type. :D

Donny the Punk
12-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Glad to be of service. You can thank Canadian ethnic diversity for the tip. :p

Richard Parker
12-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Its pretty safe in Manila. The places you guys are talking about are further south. Close to the muslim populations, surprise surpise.

Considering the fact that the police in Manila carry automatic weapons, I'm fairly certain I'll be ok.

Japanese people, who are very concerned with safety, visit the Philipines a great deal. My sister-in-law regularly goes to Cebu to snorkel.

We seldom hear about incidents involving tourists to the Philipines.

Billy Score
12-09-2006, 07:22 PM

From everything i've heard, if you are white and/or american, you are a magnet for every woman in the place, regardless of how old, fat,boorish/disgusting you are. some members here can attest to that. that entire nation has a case of stockholm syndrome, save for the PCP.

il ragno
12-09-2006, 09:49 PM

"See here, you! You keep saying goodbye, and hanging around. I wish you'd say how do you do and leave!"
-Charlie Ruggles to Edward Everett Horton in TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932)

funderbunked
12-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Tailored suits are gonna cost ya in Hong Kong. Were I you, I'd wait until I hit Manila.

Yeah, Mazdak is right about the availability of prime loin in the Philippines. (I didn't know that Helios Panoptes was into man-thang; I guess if you swing that way, he could give you some pointers.) Filipinas aren't my cuppa, but a head-job for $12-15 is pretty hard to pass up.

I'll be in Cambodia next month, speaking of Asian travels. Got a 10-day paid vacation, and will flog my Olympus 8.1 megapixel camera on Angkor Wat. Gonna buy a massive load of pharmaceuticals, too (finding drugs in South Korea has become a hassle lately...). Also gonna get two or three tailored suits (I hear $90-100 is the range in the good tailor shops in Phnom Penh; can't beat that).

Happy travels, Sulla. Make sure to get a good hummer while in Manila.:whip: