PDA

View Full Version : Videocard

Kodos
12-12-2006, 02:07 AM
I'm a neophyte at installing hardware myself, in the past I haven't had enough money that I'd be able to recover if I wrecked everything.

My new Videocard comes in (Radeon ATI X1900 GT) and its PCI express, it turns out that is diffrent from PCI.

Am I pwn3d or is there an adapter where I won't horrendously lose capability?

Professor John Frink
12-12-2006, 02:10 AM
I'm a neophyte at installing hardware myself, in the past I haven't had enough money that I'd be able to recover if I wrecked everything.

My new Videocard comes in (Radeon ATI X1900 GT) and its PCI express, it turns out that is diffrent from PCI.

You're pwned big time.

Which motherboard to you have?

Keystone
12-12-2006, 02:11 AM

I just upgraded to a Geforce 256MB video card last week. It fit like a glove in one of my spare PCI slots.
What's a PCI "express"?

Helios Panoptes
12-12-2006, 02:14 AM

You are pwn3d.

Someone gave me a PCI E card for a computer that was not compatible, but I was getting a new one, anyway.

Kodos
12-12-2006, 02:15 AM
I just upgraded to a Geforce 256MB video card last week. It fit like a glove in one of my spare PCI slots.
What's a PCI "express"?

Something thats not going to fit in the PCI slots... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Professor John Frink
12-12-2006, 02:17 AM

Must have been a PCI-Express then.

What's a PCI "express"?
Two standards that are actually worlds apart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PCIExpress.jpg

Keystone
12-12-2006, 02:23 AM
Must have been a PCI-Express then.
Well it works better than Otto's, then. Improved my refresh rates and 3D by miles. I had a Dell factory 64MB card before that.

Keystone
12-12-2006, 02:31 AM
Where did you get this video card, Otto?

Kodos
12-12-2006, 02:40 AM
The problem is not the videocard, the problem is my motherboard is a 2.5 year old dinosaur without a pci express slot.

I got it from Ewiz.com (objective of being able to play MTW II and NWN II). I already have a non onboard video card which I just put back in... but I need a pimped out direct x 9.0c compatible one.

If I had a super computer (which I don't hence why I can't put in said videocard) I could run those games in an emulator but alas.

Professor John Frink
12-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Kay, so it's probably an AGP slot.

Which CPU socket does the mobo have?

Keystone
12-12-2006, 02:46 AM
The problem is not the videocard, the problem is my motherboard is a 2.5 year old dinosaur without a pci express slot.
Mine's a 4 year old Dell machine without a PCI "express" slot. The card I installed supports DirectX 9.0

Geforce 5200

Carlos Danger
12-12-2006, 02:47 AM
I think the GeForce 7800 is the best AGP card still available

Kodos
12-12-2006, 02:47 AM
Since I got the comp as a gift( and have moved 3 times with it) im lacking on mobo documentation. When I put it back up I'll dl a mobo analyzer program.

Its a vaio about 2.5 years old. It doesn't really matter as you can't upgrade the mobo directly (not economically compared to other options) and im sure even if some PCI-eX16 to PCI or AGP adaptor exists (which I don't know)... it would almost certainly cause some loss of functionality.

Will have to buy new fucking computer.

Carlos Danger
12-12-2006, 02:49 AM
If you want to play 5 year-old games a cheapo 6200 will probably serve

Keystone
12-12-2006, 02:51 AM
If you want to play 5 year-old games a cheapo 6200 will probably serve
Oi.
I just play AOE and want Windows Vista to work properly when I upgrade.

Professor John Frink
12-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Since I got the comp as a gift( and have moved 3 times with it) im lacking on mobo documentation. When I put it back up I'll dl a mobo analyzer program.

Its a vaio about 2.5 years old. It doesn't really matter as you can't upgrade the mobo directly (not economically compared to other options) and im sure even if some PCI-eX16 to PCI or AGP adaptor exists (which I don't know)... it would almost certainly cause some loss of functionality.

Will have to buy new fucking computer.

Adapters exist, but they slow the system down. You need to buy a new mobo that is compatible with all your existing components or a new comp.

Carlos Danger
12-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Adapters exist, but they slow the system down. You need to buy a new mobo that is compatible with all your existing components or a new comp.
I don't advise mobo replacement unless you really know what you're doing

Kodos: sell the PCI-E card and buy a top-rank AGP instead

OVERWATCH
12-12-2006, 03:02 AM
Just return the card wherever you bought it, and get another one, (an AGP, provided your mobo has an AGP slot)

Kodos
12-12-2006, 03:04 AM
I don't advise mobo replacement unless you really know what you're doing

Kodos: sell the PCI-E card and buy a top-rank AGP instead

Im thinking more along the lines of getting a new comp...

OVERWATCH
12-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Im thinking more along the lines of getting a new comp...
Available technology hasn't advanced far enough to realise the full potential of the PCI-E interface, AGP 8x is fast enough as things stand now, if you were thinking of building a PC around your new card, that would be unadvisable at this point in time, imho.

Kodos
12-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Im gonna need one anyway soon, and the x1900 should be good for at least two years.

Professor John Frink
12-12-2006, 09:25 AM
and the x1900 should be good for at least two years.

Probably not, because it isn't DirectX10 compatible. Then again, you can always upgrade later.