PDA

View Full Version : Sulla's not the only one who can't get enough of Solzhenitsyn

Daniel Shays
12-12-2006, 07:30 PM
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5583/solzhenitsyn1bv1.jpg

Discuss.

Hrolf Kraki
12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I like Solzhenitsyn. :)

I have his book One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.

Vasily Zaitsev
12-12-2006, 08:08 PM
His penchant for hyperbole makes him the Elie Wiesel of the GULAG.

Berianidze
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
His penchant for hyperbole makes him the Elie Wiesel of the GULAG.
True; unfortunately I had to read all three volumes of his GULAG Archipelago and his Harvard speech.

What is Stormfront's attachment to the man?

Geist
12-12-2006, 08:21 PM
He is an intellectual associated with nationalism which is enough for SF to claim him.

Berianidze
12-12-2006, 08:26 PM
He is an intellectual associated with nationalism which is enough for SF to claim him.
lol pretty low standards...

WFHermans
12-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Anyone who is accused of being an antisemite can't be all bad.

Daniel Shays
12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Anyone who is accused of being an antisemite can't be all bad.
Fringe elements of philo-semites claim that Stalin AND Solzhenitsyn were/are anti-semitic.

Vasily Zaitsev
12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
What is Stormfront's attachment to the man?

He's made some less than friendly remarks about the Jews. That gets nipples over at SF hard.

That, and the fact that a juvenile anachronistic "anti-communism" still runs deep in nationalist circles. People quoting Skrewdriver lines about "red scum" and all that.

Carlos Danger
12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
SF dislikes Jews, Jews dislike Solz, ergo SF likes Solz

I think Serbs are popular on SF for much the same reason

Alfacritical
12-12-2006, 09:46 PM
SF dislikes Jews, Jews dislike Solz, ergo SF likes Solz

SF dislikes Karl Marx, Karl Marx disliked Judaism, ergo SF likes Judaism.
:popcorn:

OVERWATCH
12-12-2006, 10:02 PM
The old National Youth Alliance (proto-NA) had a real affinity for Solzhenitsyn, I have an article about him in The Best Of Attack and National Vanguard.

Vasily Zaitsev
12-12-2006, 10:14 PM
The old National Youth Alliance (proto-NA) had a real affinity for Solzhenitsyn, I have an article about him in The Best Of Attack and National Vanguard.

That was all Pierce.

The Doctor mentioned Solz in numerous ADV broadcasts.

Thomas777
12-13-2006, 06:02 AM
That was all Pierce.

The Doctor mentioned Solz in numerous ADV broadcasts.

Pierce liked Solz because the latter was a rabid anti-Communist who also took issue with Capitalist decadence. A lot of Third Positionists like Solzhenitsyn for the same reason. They seem to conveniently neglect that Solzhenitsyn was essentially a Reactionary fantasist who wanted to re-establish something of an Orthodox theocracy in Russia.

Ahknaton
12-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Solzhenitsyn's 200 Years Together is supposed to be quite the anti-Semitic tract.

Thomas777
12-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Solzhenitsyn's 200 Years Together is supposed to be quite the anti-Semitic tract.

I have heard the same thing...at the same time, Russians discuss things openly that we don't. Solzhenitsyn probably addresses the issue (as he has before) that Jews in general had an axe to grind with the Czar and hence aided and abetted the Revolution. This isn't a controversial proposition, unless you're Abe Foxman or SullatheDictator, but its considered to be an "Anti-Semitic" line of thinking.

Ahknaton
12-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Out of interest, what happened 200 years ago that brought the Jews to Russia? Were they expelled from somewhere else?

Berianidze
12-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Pierce liked Solz because the latter was a rabid anti-Communist who also took issue with Capitalist decadence. A lot of Third Positionists like Solzhenitsyn for the same reason. They seem to conveniently neglect that Solzhenitsyn was essentially a Reactionary fantasist who wanted to re-establish something of an Orthodox theocracy in Russia.
True, although the the desire to re-establish an Orthodox theocracy were latent, or rather, he wasn't overt about them per se. He did argue that America wasn't any better, and that they neglected the spiritual aspect of life in his criticisms of America. He also said Russia needed an authoritarian but "accountable" government.

Thomas777
12-13-2006, 06:46 AM
True, although the the desire to re-establish an Orthodox theocracy were latent, or rather, he wasn't overt about them per se. He did argue that America wasn't any better, and that they neglected the spiritual aspect of life in his criticisms of America. He also said Russia needed an authoritarian but "accountable" government.

When I was younger, I was very much influenced by Solzhenitsyn. His critique of Marxist-Leninism as well as Capitalism resonated with me quite deeply. However, the man is essentially a backwards-looking reactionary and his dogmatic anti-modernist bent stands as really sort of an insurmountable, ideological stumbling-block, IMO.

This is not to say that each and every theorist must articulate a concrete political program...in fact, many of the most valuable thinkers do no such thing, IMO. That said, the Reactionary tendency is one of the greatest obstacles to the creation of a viable, Rightist Third Position.

Solzhenitsyn is worth reading as a cultural critic, but his significance has been overstated, largely on account of the fact that he was able to procure an audience among anti-Communist elements during the Cold War.

Carlos Danger
12-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Out of interest, what happened 200 years ago that brought the Jews to Russia? Were they expelled from somewhere else?
There were very large numbers of Jews in Poland, who came under Russian rule after the partitions of that country

They were banned from leaving though, so most of Russia remained largely free of Jews until WWI

Boleslaw
12-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Just terrific; SF is trying to ruin the reputation of a great man! :rolleyes:

Sandee
12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Just terrific; SF is trying to ruin the reputation of a great man! :rolleyes:

http://www.bk.tudelft.nl/students/bk246267/internet/smilies/pope.gif

Perun, I just had to. :D