PDA

View Full Version : Am I the oldest Phoran?

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I was born in October 1946. Anyone born before that?

I remember:
My family only had a crank-up, non-electric record player.
My grandmother had an ice-box and not a refrigerator. A guy delivered ice to her house.
No one I knew had a color tv.
Seniors in my high-school had a smoking room off of the lunchroom. (1963)
Stores were closed on Sunday.
Doctors made house-calls. The tv repairman too.
Cars didn't have seat belts. Or air-conditioning.
Houses didn't have air-conditioning either. Some movie theaters did, some didn't.
Smoking on the bus.
Smoking IN THE CLASSROOM in college. (1981)
My family's first house cost $7,000.
Our second house had a coal burning furnace. In Chicago.
My first car cost $300. I sold it for $125.
Gas was $0.28 per gallon.
Classmates with polio.
No non-white people lived within 5 miles of my home. In Chicago.
There was no rock-and-roll.
Abortion was illegal.
Hitch-hiking to school in Chicago and to California, New York, and across Europe.
Listening to half-hour dramas and comedies on the radio.
Midway Airport in Chicago was the busiest airport in THE WORLD. It's one mile square and surrounded by houses. All propeller airplanes, no jets.
One of my aunts was shunned by the family because she married a non-Catholic, divorced man.
Nuclear attack drills in school.

And, my grandfather was born when Ulysses S. Grant was president.

Carlos Danger
01-12-2007, 11:02 AM
hehe, do you remember those old TVs that took several minutes to work after you switched them on?

My grandparents had one of those, it used to confuse the hell out of me as a kid

Helios Panoptes
01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Not even close. Thoth has you beat by 11 years.

Hachiko
01-12-2007, 11:14 AM
If indeed ol' Glenny Boy is gone for good, that title may indeed be yours. :)

You forgot one more thing, you are so old, you owe Jesus a quarter. :D

Anyway, an avatar suggestion for you:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/hachiko323/fathertime.jpg

Sandee
01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I believe Vajo Jr. is 61 but he never posts here anymore. If we go by most active, that'll probably be you. I don't know Thoth. Is he really 71?

Helios Panoptes
01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I believe Vajo Jr. is 61 but he never posts here anymore. If we go by most active, that'll probably be you. I don't know Thoth. Is he really 71?

Yes, he is. His personal info is publically available. I looked him up and IIRC he got his phd in 1960.

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Not even close. Thoth has you beat by 11 years.

No age listed in his profile.

ironweed
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Pwns me. I was born in 1964. Though I'll bet I'm at the far end of the bell curve for age of the average Phora poster.

Geist
01-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I had no idea old people knew how to use computers. This is a revelation to me.

Hachiko
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
I had no idea old people knew how to use computers. This is a revelation to me.
I wonder if Burrhus' computer has a crank on the side as well. :D

ironweed
01-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I missed by one semester having to take a programming class in Pascal that used punch cards. We got to use high tech monochrome dumb terminals.
On an IBM 370 mainframe. :)

VAMPIR
01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Respect Burrhus. :)

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
If indeed ol' Glenny Boy is gone for good, that title may indeed be yours. :)

You forgot one more thing, you are so old, you owe Jesus a quarter. :D

Edit: No, Jesus owes ME a quarter.

Hmm? At 5% interest compounded quarterly he owes me 9.93 x 10^41 dollars. I gotta call the pope and get my money.

White Nationalist revolution financing soon available. Free beer for life for all Phorans...even Globus. Hell, I might even send Glenn some freakin' money.

Ambrosio Spinola
01-12-2007, 11:50 AM
We need eugenics applied to old people :D

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 11:51 AM
I wonder if Burrhus' computer has a crank on the side as well. :D

No, it has a crank in front of it.

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Old people are by definition eugenic.

Hachiko
01-12-2007, 11:54 AM
No, it has a crank in front of it.
The one that is typing, correct? ;)

Helios Panoptes
01-12-2007, 11:58 AM
No age listed in his profile.

It used to be: 71. I am looking at his name on a list of faculty right now and indeed his PhD is '60.

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Respect Burrhus. :)

It's always refreshing to find wisdom in a young man.

When I was your age it was 1971, the year that I don't remember well for reasons better left unsaid.

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 12:02 PM
The one that is typing, correct? ;)

I believe that the young'ns call it keyboarding.

Kriger
01-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, at fifty-eight I am not far behind.

Although in Missouri, we did not join the twentieth century until 1962. That was the year everyone started switching to indoor plumbing.

:rofl:

il ragno
01-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Hail Burrhus!

I wish I was carbon-dated back to '46. That would've given me 14 additional years of the Old, Real America to experience instead of the tweener status I currently occupy - too young to fully comprehend what was being lost for all time, yet already too old to ever feel fully comfortable in rapidly-dehumanized, Bar-Code America.

I would imagine those first-hand memories of the world when it made sense offer some sort of balm in these days, when nothing does.

Dr. Gutberlet
01-12-2007, 03:55 PM
You're so old, your high school yearbook is on papyrus:rofl:

Hachiko
01-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Burrhus is so old that when God said "let there be light"...
...he hit the switch.

Burrhus is so old that he was jetskiing when Moses parted the Red Sea.

Burrhus is so old that his time in the Navy was served on Noah's Ark.

:D

bardamu
01-12-2007, 04:00 PM

You too will one day be an old fuck. It aint so bad, yet anyway. We have wisdom enough to wear belts, for one thing. :)

BoloMK30
01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Hmm? At 5% interest compounded quarterly he owes me 9.93 x 10^41 dollars. I gotta call the pope and get my money.

White Nationalist revolution financing soon available. Free beer for life for all Phorans...even Globus. Hell, I might even send Glenn some freakin' money.

This is incorrect! Don't you remember? YOU are the one who borrowed
the quarter-denarius to use that pay-toilet in Tyre. Lucky for you, Jesus
doesn't charge interest. So cough up that copper!

My first "real" computer was a TRS-80 Model 3 bought for $2259.00 while
I was stationed at Adak, Alaska in 1980. Shipping cost was $162.00.

I was born in 1950. My father was the first RCA-trained color TV repairman
in Southern California. I'm not the oldest here, but my hair is grey and I
am old enough to be Bip's grandfather.

Mentious
01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Thank you for that Burrhus. I will be 50 in a couple of months. That's very weird for me, because I still feel like a young man in my mind. The idea of being 50 seems like a complete joke...

I liked hearing those factoids about your past. I always like getting that kind of information from older people.

I think when we can hear about the past from our elders it gives us a lot of perspective and insight. Wisdom, even.

Hachiko
01-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Ok, just one more....

Burrhus is soooo old...<drumroll>
He was in the audience the day Maury said "In the case of Baby Jesus, Joseph, you are NOT the father!"

:rofl:It's a truly happy man who can laugh at his own jokes!:rofl:

Ambrosio Spinola
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
So old he did his military service with lance and shield :D

Hachiko
01-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Burrhus is so old....<drumroll>
....he was on the bucket brigade lined up in front of Catherine O'Leary's barn. :D

OVERWATCH
01-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I am feeling like a young man now that I read this thread :strong:

Lily
01-12-2007, 05:09 PM
I feel like a kid. :(

Dr. Gutberlet
01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
He's so old, he knew Alexander when he was just good.

Nyx
01-12-2007, 07:04 PM
NeoNietzsche, I have been told, was born in 1923.

Nyx
01-12-2007, 07:08 PM
My family only had a crank-up, non-electric record player.So do I.

Stores were closed on Sunday.Nearly all stores are closed on Sundays where I live.

There was no rock-and-roll.I should prefer to be have been born in your time for this reason alone.

Hachiko
01-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I should prefer to be have been born in your time for this reason alone.
Yeah but there was no N64 then either :D.

Nyx
01-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah but there was no N64 then either :D.Video gaming corrupts the minds of most youth as well.

Richard Parker
01-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Thank you for that Burrhus. I will be 50 in a couple of months. That's very weird for me, because I still feel likea young man in my mind. The idea of being 50 seems like a complete joke...

I liked hearing those factoids about your past. I always like getting that kind of information from older people.

I think when we can hear about the past from our elders it gives us a lot of perspective and insight. Wisdom, even.

You seem to have a variety of avatars Julian, some of your younger days and some now.

If things continue to progress in a straight line I can see you looking like Gandalf in the next 25 years.

Which would be seriously cool, almost makes me wish I were white. :rofl:

Richard Parker
01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I feel like a kid. :(

Bip, you'll always be a cute kid.

Heck, when you're 70 I'll be in my 90s.

Keystone
01-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, at fifty-eight I am not far behind.

Although in Missouri, we did not join the twentieth century until 1962. That was the year everyone started switching to indoor plumbing.

:rofl:
You people are ancient.

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 10:30 PM
You seem to have a variety of avatars Julian, some of your younger days and some now.

If things continue to progress in a straight line I can see you looking like Gandalf in the next 25 years.

Which would be seriously cool, almost makes me wish I were white. :rofl:

Actually, I look like Gandalf and could serve as a stand-in for him.

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Hail Burrhus!

I wish I was carbon-dated back to '46. That would've given me 14 additional years of the Old, Real America to experience instead of the tweener status I currently occupy - too young to fully comprehend what was being lost for all time, yet already too old to ever feel fully comfortable in rapidly-dehumanized, Bar-Code America.

I would imagine those first-hand memories of the world when it made sense offer some sort of balm in these days, when nothing does.

Memories of that former America are somewhat bittersweet. The recollection of them is sweet but returning to the reality of their demise is bitter.

I can understand your feelings as one born in 1960. The decline began in earnest in the mid-1960s and the rot was unmistakable by 1975 when you were 15. The 'Greatest Generation', who were in power then, wasn't really quite so great.

Burrhus
01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
This is incorrect! Don't you remember? YOU are the one who borrowed
the quarter-denarius to use that pay-toilet in Tyre. Lucky for you, Jesus
doesn't charge interest. So cough up that copper!

That is just another damned jewish lie. I have edited that previous post to reflect the truth that it is Jesus who owes me a quarter PLUS interest.

"Jesus doesn't charge interest"?? He was a moslem? I don't think so.

Keystone
01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I can understand your feelings as one born in 1960. The decline began in earnest in the mid-1960s and the rot was unmistakable by 1975 when you were 15. The 'Greatest Generation', who were in power then, wasn't really quite so great.
I was born in 1960. I had a great childhood courtesy of my dad's generation.
He wasn't a politician.

Don Quixote
01-12-2007, 10:59 PM
1963, and the great thing is Ireland has some serious lag, so the world Burrhus described was our world up to quite recently. I can still remember donkeys and carts, thatched cottages, boreens (narrow unpaved country tracks), hand cut turf, De Valera, Holy Wells, daily communicants (there are still a few of them) and everything else.

http://www.irelandposters.com/oldphotos/old_irish_thatch_cottages.jpg

Keystone
01-12-2007, 11:06 PM
1963, and the great thing is Ireland has some serious lag, so the world Burrhus described was our world up to quite recently. I can still remember donkeys and carts, thatched cottages, boreens (narrow unpaved country tracks), hand cut turf, De Valera, Holy Wells, daily communicants (there are still a few of them) and everything else.

Christ, Basil, you're the oldest Phoran by the sheer antiquity of your childhood.

Well done.

Gil's sidekick
01-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Burrhus,

I am barely a Phoran, but I am older than you. I was born in May, 1945. That makes me 61, approaching my 62nd birthday, a month after which you youngsters will be ponying up for my monthly Social Security check (I'm taking it as early as possible, as everyone should*). And, I thank you all. If you show up in June at my neighborhood bar, I shall gladly buy you a beer.

Enkidu

* The crossover day for 62 vs. 65 for starting social security payouts is about age 76. Only one man in my family has ever lived past 72 (one of my great grandfathers).

Don Quixote
01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Christ, Basil, you're the oldest Phoran by the sheer antiquity of your childhood.

Well done.Well, I'm cheating a little, I also spent considerable periods of my childhood abroad, punctuated by lengthy periods in that pre-modern world that is all but vanished. I remember hand-milking a cow (the old man's side were farmers), stacking hay with pitch forks, cutting turf by hand and all that kind of thing.

Arnold Steelone
01-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I suppose you're older than myself.

Starr
01-12-2007, 11:28 PM
It is good to see there are quite a few people here a bit older than me, that makes me feel amost young.:p

Don Quixote
01-12-2007, 11:50 PM
It is good to see there are quite a few people here a bit older than me, that makes me feel amost young.:pYou're only a wee slip of a lass.

Arrow Cross
01-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Respect, good sir, your wits and wisdom are quite impressive.

Alte Kameraden March (http://inconnu.uw.hu/index.php?dir=&file=Alte%20Kameraden%20March.mp3), just for Burrhus! ;)

Burrhus
01-13-2007, 01:22 AM

Then you are truly blessed of the Lord or the laws of nature, whichever way your faith inclines you.

Up until a few years ago, when the degradation in America caused me emotional duress, I would think about Ireland as a refuge from the corruption of Western Civilization. Sadly, Ireland seems to be treading a similar path.

Ahknaton
01-13-2007, 03:07 AM
We're fortunate at the Phora to have the benefit of the wisdom and experience of so many older posters.

:thanks:

SlagMaster
01-13-2007, 04:36 AM
I was born in October 1946. Anyone born before that?

Is that A.D. or B.C ... Ha

Fade the Butcher
01-13-2007, 05:25 AM
The oldest was kagran, but he is no longer with us. I believe he died several years ago.

Hugh Jorgen
01-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I saw the transition in Canada.

ie: Steam engines and cabooses ... Horse drawn milkman and breadman ... City corner horse troughs ... Travelling neighbourhood photographers with their ponies ... Coal furnaces ... Rumble seats ... Darned socks and knitted sweaters ... Dinner at 5:30 ... BB guns ... The strap ... Coon skin hats ... Ovaltine ... Loud ticking alarm clocks ... Unlocked house doors ... Roy Rogers and Hopalong Cassiday matinee movies ... Fast food was corned beef stands ... Almost everyone was white ... Honour newspaper boxes ... Jackie Gleason Show on Saturday nights and Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights ... Smoking wherever one wanted ... The only drug was booze ... Jalopies ... Real tits and hairy bits

- Shit ... I'm older than dirt :surrender:

Dances with Wolves
01-13-2007, 09:28 AM
I can remember when you could buy things for a penny and how pissed my dad was when gasoline went up from 35 to 50 cents a gallon :eek:

Hachiko
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/hachiko323/churchsign5.jpg

Burrhus
01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/hachiko323/churchsign5.jpg

What John doesn't tell you is that I designed the wiring, the bulb, the generator and the switch. Who gets the credit? The little jew boy from Bethlehem and his old man. TJB right from the start.

Hrolf Kraki
01-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Wildness! I didn't think old people knew how to use the internet. :p

Burrhus
01-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Wildness! I didn't think old people knew how to use the internet. :p

We don't. What makes you think that we do?

I think that I'll have some key lime sherbet now.

Dr. Gutberlet
01-19-2007, 07:14 PM
You're so old, you babysat Methuselah.

Hrolf Kraki
01-19-2007, 07:14 PM
We don't. What makes you think that we do?

I think that I'll have some key lime sherbet now.

Well you're using the internet right now!

I went to Winstead's the other day (local hamburger place) and my roommate, Katee, got a limeade and they put lime sherbert in it.

Micaelis
01-19-2007, 07:31 PM
The oldest was kagran, but he is no longer with us. I believe he died several years ago.

I was unaware of that ... he and I would design sigs for ppl. :( God rest his soul...

Hrolf Kraki
01-19-2007, 07:38 PM
I was unaware of that ... he and I would design sigs for ppl. :( God rest his soul...

How old was he?

Straight Satan
01-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I remember those black and white TV sets that would change channels if you tossed your keys on the dresser. Anybody else remember those? They did that because the remote control was this metal box that made some sort of a metallic ping when you pushed the button, kind of like a tuning fork.

I remember when most little boys wore wild-west holsters with cap guns. I even had a pair of cool spurs for my boots.

Remember mimeographs?

When my parents would take a new car for a test drive, the salesman sometimes gave them a little model of the car as a sales gimmick.

I recall those long skirts that women started wearing in the early 70's-- Maxis, is that what they were?

Lily
01-19-2007, 09:22 PM
iim so thw oldest booyah

Vasily Zaitsev
01-19-2007, 09:34 PM
iim so thw oldest booyah

Drunk on your birthday?

Hachiko
01-19-2007, 09:50 PM
What John doesn't tell you is that I designed the wiring, the bulb, the generator and the switch. Who gets the credit? The little jew boy from Bethlehem and his old man. TJB right from the start.
Whoa, whoa, hold on there. How did that happen? Didn't you help spell-check the Bible?

Billy Score
01-19-2007, 10:30 PM

LOL i'm not even 20 and i can remember that (save deValera). Infact in 2003 on my last trip we bumped into some old acquiantances in the bog getting the turf itself.

We had an irish fellow nearby who just recently died at the age of 109. He used to walk everywhere, even to the end. Hell my father was born in 38 and he recalls the first time he saw a radio or car. The first few times i went to ireland in the late 80s/early 90s we were still using pitchforks and i saw plenty of horse and carts. The thatched roofs only began disappearing recently as the really old timers died and they fell into disrepair, or as someone else bought up the place and changed them. That is the beauty of ireland, it only emerged from the Bronze Age in 1973 or so. My dad used to tell me about how deValera came to his town during the war and some drunk almost attacked him, cursing him out and yelling at him to leave the country. He also remembers the Mass where his priest announced Stalin's death in 1953 with "Stalin has died and as sure as i am standing here he is already burning in hell."

It's amazing how rapidly things have changed over there. In the US it took some time, but Ireland on my last visit in 2003 was drastically different from the other visits. As for me, even now i "feel old", i can sort of see how things have changed. As bad as rock music may be, i remember when rap music simply didn't exist in the mainstream, now it's everywhere.

I appreciate elders because oftentimes they validate me. I may say things were better at such and such a time but not having lived in those times, it is well researched speculation at best. But when i meet older people (the photo guy at my old job, an old greek guy), and they say the same things i say, it means a thousand times more than any book or article.

Basil- i suggest you take a trip to limerick sometime, unless it's drastically changed in 3 years it is still as "backwards" as it was for you in your youth.

Billy Score
01-19-2007, 10:33 PM
How do you know this?? I remember him fondly from the early days. He had that paint drawing of Wehrmacht as his avatar and even made my first sig for me. A damned shame. RIP

OVERWATCH
01-19-2007, 11:24 PM
My first videogame system: (c. 1979)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_Odyssey%C2%B2

http://www.coprolite.com/odyssey2/odyssey2.jpg

My first computer (c.1982)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/appleiic.JPG

Billy Score
01-19-2007, 11:37 PM
My first computer was also a commodore 64. I still have most of the games for it, but it broke down ages ago. how old is that system?

Thoth
01-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Yes, he is. His personal info is publically available. I looked him up and IIRC he got his phd in 1960.

72 on the '26th, though.
Used to publish. Then started trying to understand. (Vietnam never made sense. Then neocons showed up.)

Helios Panoptes
01-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Thoth, what was(is) your specialization in philosophy?

Hrolf Kraki
01-20-2007, 04:52 AM
Drunk on your birthday?

Yes. Bip IM'd me earlier and her sentences were difficult to comprehend. I told her she needs to take it easy in order to prepare for the following night. :p

Thoth
01-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Thoth, what was(is) your specialization in philosophy?

Philosophy of Religion, Dr A.C Garnett's teaching asst. First track, from Baylor undergrad double major.

Second track: Analysis of sign-use (thesis on early Russell) U. of Wisc. Madison in its heyday (4 APA presidents from late 50's: Dretske, Singer, Hay (my mentor), Weinberg). All-around strong Philo Deptartment in Bascom Hall offices; heavily Hume-positivist-pragmatist; Ammerman was bringing in late Wittgenstein, with tension; no Hegel, 19th Cent. German, existentialism, Nietzsche, Heideggar, Frankfort, sex-gender studies, Hegel or twaddle. Straight metaphysics and epistemology, you read the originals (in transl.) and go through the theory of relations in symbolic logic, the rest optional. Best course: theory of advanced logic with Weinberg, in which he actually wrote out proof of Goedel's indeterminancy argument on the board (he'd worked on it three days. Noted for having read all of Principa Mathematica, in addition to having translated Wittgenstein's Tractactus); and, the Theory of Universals (the ancients did not understand relations). I have taken the distinction between text and token from the theory of formal language analysis, where it is presupposed, back over into plain common discourse, "TokenSpace", I call it; then, connect non-extensional sign-use with the Unconscious: Ch. 7 of Freud's Interpretation of Dreams , deMause's fantasy analysis (focusing on cartoons, president's speeches, which turned up much fetal content, as in Nirvana's In Utero -- defing the core collective 'dream work'. I did psychohistory under his teutalage for years, all the while working on the system used now. As I am always explaining ad nauseam to any wedding guests entering the kirch, the shift from thought to consciousness in approaching all communication has not been carried through. And because it hasn't, the intellectual group has been deprived of the particular advantage to be gained if it had been, namely, ego-strength to prevent the conscious standpoint from devolving to reptilianism. (I've smoked a lot of dope in 4 decades.)

So, glad you asked. I call it (what I do) psycho-semiotics

I hope you and/or other moderators will find the post I've readied on Reversals, David Icke and the unfolding New Master Myth intereting. I'll put it in Ziggarut, aka the Swamphut.

Ahknaton
01-20-2007, 10:03 AM
I hope you and/or other moderators will find the post I've readied on Reversals, David Icke and the unfolding New Master Myth intereting. I'll put it in Ziggarut, aka the Swamphut.
Looking forward to them :).

Helios Panoptes
01-20-2007, 02:40 PM
All-around strong Philo Deptartment in Bascom Hall offices; heavily Hume-positivist-pragmatist; Ammerman was bringing in late Wittgenstein, with tension; no Hegel, 19th Cent. German, existentialism, Nietzsche, Heideggar, Frankfort, sex-gender studies, Hegel or twaddle. Straight metaphysics and epistemology, you read the originals (in transl.) and go through the theory of relations in symbolic logic, the rest optional.

In my limited experience, that material seems confined to undergraduate programs, mostly, at least in the US. As an undergrad, there were courses in that obscurantist pablum, but since I have been a graduate student, all of the courses are on epistemology, metaphysics, logic, language, metaethics, and so forth with virtually no continental philosophy. Frankfurt school, Foucault, Derrida, feminist philosophy(not sure what that is, exactly, but I've heard of it) might as well not exist because nobody teaches it. It's probably taught by other departments, but mercifully, I don't have to hear about it.

Geist
01-20-2007, 02:55 PM

This is an Ireland I will never know. On a Dublin note my grandfather lived in tenements which were basically slums. Still fairly shocking when he tells me stories of what it was like.