PDA

View Full Version : @Julian

Keystone
02-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I'd like to apologize for impugning your sexuality a while ago. It was bone-headed behavior and regrettable.

You seem to be an honorable gent, and my silly comments were out of line.

P.S. I still don't believe in astrology.

Mentious
02-18-2007, 10:03 PM
O.K. Apology accepted. No more of that from me then either. Cool avatar.

Keystone
02-18-2007, 10:30 PM
O.K. Apology accepted. No more of that from me then either. Cool avatar.
Thank you.

Your daughter practicing on piano is a good thing, and you should be very proud.
My niece will be playing cello with the Pittsburgh Symphony Side By Side concert in March, where teenagers play along side the professionals. She's very geeked about it.

O'Zebedee
02-18-2007, 10:34 PM
My niece will be playing cello with the Pittsburgh Symphony Side By Side concert in March, where teenagers play along side the professionals. She's very geeked about it.

Nice - I've been bowing my upright since September, even played a few shows that way, and it's kind of nerve wracking since it's all positional, and all in the wrist. It's hard to hack your way through, though you can kind of fake it.

She'll likely learn a ton playing with the musicians in the Pittsburgh Symphony.

Kodos
02-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Thank you.

Your daughter practicing on piano is a good thing, and you should be very proud.

How'd the daughter of a working class guy get interested in playing cello...

Not an insult just seems unusual.

Vasily Zaitsev
02-19-2007, 02:53 AM

Some public schools still fund their music programs, thankfully.

Though there are other ways 'Stein's girl could have learned.

Kodos
02-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Some public schools still fund their music programs, thankfully.

Though there are other ways 'Stein's girl could have learned.

The only cello player I know is a girl whos parents are both professors at my technical school and you're shit in the family if you aren't a child prodigy.

Classical instruments are unusual except for families that are

1) Parents are music people themselves

2) Aristocracy

3) Jews (who despite the oft repeated culture destroyer them a much higher % of them like classical music then is found in the general population).

Vasily Zaitsev
02-19-2007, 03:06 AM
The only cello player I know is a girl whos parents are both professors at my technical school and you're shit in the family if you aren't a child prodigy.

2) Aristocracy

3) Jews (who despite the oft repeated culture destroyer them a much higher % of them like classical music then is found in the general population).

Your personal experience is what it is. It does not, however, change the fact that public school music programs can expose children to instruments their parents might not have the skill or resources to teach them at home.

Point three, though, is true. The classical music world in the US is heavily Jewish and, for whatever reason, American Jews love Russian composers (Tribe and Gentile alike). Compare the playlists of American classical radio stations and webcasts with those of their European counterparts some time and you'll be amazed.

Hartmann von Aue
02-19-2007, 04:57 AM
Your personal experience is what it is. It does not, however, change the fact that public school music programs can expose children to instruments their parents might not have the skill or resources to teach them at home.

Point three, though, is true. The classical music world in the US is heavily Jewish and, for whatever reason, American Jews love Russian composers (Tribe and Gentile alike). Compare the playlists of American classical radio stations and webcasts with those of their European counterparts some time and you'll be amazed.

Right, I've think I've been subjected to a lethal dose of Shostakovich, turning me into a rabid anti-semite.

Hakluyt
02-19-2007, 05:42 AM
That's very true, I've noticed the same in the US. Fortunately in Canada we have fewer Jews and the classical music sphere is still run by traditional Anglophiles.

Keystone
02-19-2007, 10:30 PM

I was talking about my niece, Otto:slap: My sister's oldest girl.

Somehow she avoided the tone-deaf genes of the rest of us.

She even lets Uncle Keystone drag her cello around like a roadie.

O'Zebedee
02-19-2007, 10:31 PM
That's very true, I've noticed the same in the US. Fortunately in Canada we have fewer Jews and the classical music sphere is still run by traditional Anglophiles.

Have you heard James Ehnes yet?

Don Quixote
02-19-2007, 11:01 PM

2) Aristocracy

3) Jews (who despite the oft repeated culture destroyer them a much higher % of them like classical music then is found in the general population).Well, we are not 1 or 3 which only leaves 2.

Hartmann von Aue
02-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Why even bother with Weikel.

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

When I go to the conservatory I see alot of asian girls.

Now let's think for a moment: are all these asian girls upper class?

120 years ago, The European peoples, especially those not of English stock (the English actually believed their own people were tone-deaf, see Richard F. Burton) were very accomplished musically.

Don Quixote
02-19-2007, 11:33 PM

He doesn't know what he's talking about.Exactly.
120 years ago, The European peoples, especially those not of English stock (the English actually believed their own people were tone-deaf, see Richard F. Burton) were very accomplished musically.Thomas Beecham once said "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes."

Hakluyt
02-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Have you heard James Ehnes yet?
I saw him play Sibelius last year. Brilliant.

Kodos
02-20-2007, 02:32 AM
Well, we are not 1 or 3 which only leaves 2.

You don't live in America.

Kodos
02-20-2007, 02:35 AM

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

When I go to the conservatory I see alot of asian girls.

Now let's think for a moment: are all these asian girls upper class?

Ah forgot about the asians.

Asian girls may play it in bands for college admission, I don't think they have a genuine interest in classical music.

BTW who the fuck are you.

Zubenelgenubi
02-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Right, I've think I've been subjected to a lethal dose of Shostakovich, turning me into a rabid anti-semite.
But Shostakovich isn't Jewish.

Don Quixote
02-20-2007, 06:53 AM
You don't live in America.Thank God!

Thomas777
02-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Thank God!

Much of America is bad, Basil...and its National government is certainly bad...but that is not the total picture.

I think that if you visited Chicago, amidst all the sprawl and decadence, you would find some really great people (including many of your brethren who have diligently maintained their traditions over many generations) who understand and appreciate the pervasive nihilism and insipidness of our managerial/consumer culture.

Too many people look at the worst elements of the USA and neglect the really fine aspects. Mind you, I understand why people are negative about this country, but its important to consider the big picture (which, admittedly, is not always easy).

Don Quixote
02-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Much of America is bad, Basil...and its National government is certainly bad...but that is not the total picture.Yes, of course. Despite all that many people still come up smelling of roses, so to speak.
I think that if you visited Chicago, amidst all the sprawl and decadence, you would find some really great people (including many of your brethren who have diligently maintained their traditions over many generations) who understand and appreciate the pervasive nihilism and insipidness of our managerial/consumer culture.Yes, indeed. I am in correspondence with a number of Irish Americans who are true soldiers in that battle - as well as being full-on Irish nationalists!
Too many people look at the worst elements of the USA and neglect the really fine aspects. Mind you, I understand why people are negative about this country, but its important to consider the big picture (which, admittedly, is not always easy).One of the things I have gained from being on this board has been a deeper insight and appreciation of those fine aspects.

Kodos
02-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Thank God!

Ireland's been out of horrible poverty for about what 25 years now.

Yes, indeed. I am in correspondence with a number of Irish Americans who are true soldiers in that battle - as well as being full-on Irish nationalists!

The from the island irish ive met don't like the IRA (I don't either, their songs are good).

Hartmann von Aue
02-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Ah forgot about the asians.

Asian girls may play it in bands for college admission, I don't think they have a genuine interest in classical music.

BTW who the fuck are you.

I'm the biggest asshole on Speakeasy!

Don Quixote
02-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Thank God!

Ireland's been out of horrible poverty for about what 25 years now.Spoken like a vulgar materialist!

The from the island irish ive met don't like the IRA (I don't either, their songs are good).What you think of the IRA is of zero relevance.