PDA

View Full Version : Are you mechanically inclined ??

OVERWATCH
03-07-2007, 02:43 AM
I remember as a young boy, almost as long as I can remember, fiddling with old car parts in dad's garage, taking apart whatever I could with a screwdriver, and shortly thereafter with more advanced tools, like wrenches and sockets. Old carburetors were a favourite treat, because they were easily to disassemble, and had a multitude of shiny brass parts to ogle at. Old lawnmover engines were the second favorite. It seemed like electric motors, generators, and alternators were a lot more common though.

I had also taken a liking to dad's gun collection, and being able to field strip the fine precison machinery of a Mauser 98, Mosin-Nagant, or P08 Luger was quite thrilling for my young self. Soon I could reliably field-strip and assemble the Luger, blind, in around a minute.

As long as I can remember, dad always had some car he was working on. The earliest one was a 1963 Corvette split window coupe, with a 327 Chevy he was rebuilding. Engine and trans pulled out, body sanded down, seats reupholstered, custom interior peices and gauges...

As a teenager, before I acquired my first car, I took care of the regular maintenence on dad's Ford CLT9000 tractor, keeping it oiled, U-joints and steering greased, topping off the radiator, etc. Once I changed the tie rod end on it...which was no easy job for me.

When I got my first car, a 1974 Chevelle, I started doing light repair work, rear shocks, choke coil, ignition tuneup.

It was on my second car, a 1979 Mustang coupe that I learned the most and started aggressively learning more skills and deeper understanding of mechanics through a confident, headlong, hands on approach. Not long after getting the Mustang, my mentor was called away to Valhalla, and shortly thereafter the 2.8L V-6 in it severely overheated, warping the cylinder heads. So the car was very nice, straight body, bright red paint, chrome wheels, white letter tires and all that- so I went about to getting a rebuilt 302 v-8, and a junk 1973 Mustang to snag all the 302 parts for the top and the front of the engine- since these aren't included when you buy a new or rebuilt engine.

A couple of years later, around age 22 or so I started favoring trucks over cars, especially four wheel drives. Around that time I rebuilt my first engine, ,my first automatic transmission, and my first drive axle.

A couple of years later I started training myself metalworking and found many projects to occupy my time.

All this was largely successful, and without any formal training whatsoever. It was done not just because it is, in my opinion, absurd for someone who isn't made of money to pay a "professional" to do something that is within your grasp, but also for the love of creatinga unique contraption, as well as a strong sense of accomplishment.

So.....

Are you good at understanding the workings of machines?

if you are, try to explain why.

Keystone
03-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Yes, but only because of the USN.

I could tear down a T56 jet engine and build it again, and a Hamilton Standard propeller and prop control, too. And the reduction gearbox that fit in between. That taught me a vast amount about mechanics, but I'm relatively helpless with cars.

Kriger
03-07-2007, 03:15 AM
I grew up tinkering with things as well. At an early age I was always taking things apart to see all the parts and how they worked. It was really good for developing a certain focus of attention and memory skills when it came time to try and piece it back together. My father encouraged this tendency by making sure there was always something in the garage to tinker with. He also had "tinkering rules" like put back together what you take apart and return everything where you found it.

This culminated into a project in my later years. I came across an old 1954 Chevy pickup truck that had been "resting" in a pasture for who knows how long. A few dents here and there and some broken windows and a weathered paint job, but otherwise in sound shape.

It was the last in the line of the old 6 volt systems....starter pedal....vacuum windshield wipers....running boards....wood truck bed.

I basically went through it, replacing cracked and rotting rubber, rewiring (amazing how simple wiring was in those days), rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the generator, coil, really very simple as compared to modern day vehicles. A friend of mine took the dents out and I gave it a paint job.

I loved that truck. Drove it everywhere. The one thing that always irritated me was when someone inevitably asked why I had not converted it to a 12 volt system. Whatever for? Much of its charm was the 6 volt system, the starter pedal, and the vacuum windshield wipers.

The only concession I made was to add a taillight so that there were two instead of one.

delete
03-07-2007, 03:57 AM
I used to take everything apart when I was a kid, as I was curious as to how it worked on the inside. I got yelled at a lot for ruining stuff, as it was almost imposible to put something together, when my father did not know how it looked before all the parts was spread all over the floor. I also lost parts all the time. (I thought it would be no problemo putting it back together again, so nobody would notice.)

I was also totally facinated by technics Lego, Mechano and radio controlled miniature cars.

When I got older it was lawn mowers, then a moped, and finally I have owned a number of wreaks over the years. I have never worked on the inside of an car engine though, but I have changed the whole engine a couple of times with some friends, and nearly every other part that makes up a car.

As a child I also loved carpentry and using powertools, something I now do in the summertime on a professional basis, but I still spend hours in various tool stores, drooling over tools I do not really need.

I am the only male on my fathers side that is not an civil engineer, and as I grew up in an area of the town where people had build their own house, so all the neighbours fathers had tools, and some of them used to tinker on their cars.

delete
03-07-2007, 04:02 AM
It was the last in the line of the old 6 volt systems....starter pedal....vacuum windshield wipers....running boards....wood truck bed.

I friend of mine had a 6 volt beetle, and it was dangerous to drive in the dark, as it did not give a lot of light.

Kriger
03-07-2007, 04:12 AM
I friend of mine had a 6 volt beetle, and it was dangerous to drive in the dark, as it did not give a lot of light.

Not sure what would have caused this. Faulty generator, perhaps, or faulty voltage regulator....faulty wiring. That is what is so good about these basically simple engines and it's components, there were relatively few things that had to be checked. And back in those days, vehicles were made to last.

There were no Chevy V8 engines yet. It was what we referred to as the Chevy 235 workhorse. Three speed transmission.

Galdr
03-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Mechanically retarded.

( Hey atleast I admit it.)

delete
03-07-2007, 04:19 AM
Not sure what would have caused this. Faulty generator, perhaps, or faulty voltage regulator....faulty wiring. That is what is so good about these basically simple engines and it's components, there were relatively few things that had to be checked. And back in those days, vehicles were made to last.

This was around 1991-92 IIRC, but the car must have been atleast 30 years old, as veretan cars do not have to pay a road tax, something he did not have to do.

We thought that it was the 6 volt that gave the bad light, but if you say yours worked fine, then it could have been something as simple as he using 12 volt bulbs. I have never thought much about it until you mentioned 6 volts batteries, and this brought it up.

Thomas777
03-07-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm mechanically retarded, but I'm really interested in biochemistry and anatomy. I would really like to dissect strippers, and I would probably be really good at it, but I'm afraid of penal liability.

Maybe I should go to Prague or something and try to flesh out these tendencies.

Kodos
03-07-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm mechanically retarded, but I'm really interested in biochemistry and anatomy. I would really like to dissect strippers, and I would probably be really good at it, but I'm afraid of penal liability.

Given that you are apparently successful in screwing these women why do you hate them so?

Galdr
03-07-2007, 04:30 AM

I would really like to dissect strippers,

:rofl:

Hmm........ Never have done that one either myself.

So what is this dissecting strippers? :rofl: :)

Galdr
03-07-2007, 04:31 AM

Given that you are apparently successful in screwing these women why do you hate them so?

Women can't live with them and can't live without them........:dance2:

Vasily Zaitsev
03-07-2007, 04:33 AM
I grew up expecting the sort of intuitive understanding I displayed in social studies and English to manifest itself in all subjects. When it failed to in mechanical areas (despite the encouragement of my technically inclined father) I grew frustrated and opted not to pursue the matter.

A few years ago, however, I purchased an AK-47 and instantly comprehended its mechanism upon first field stripping it (the simplicity of Comrade Kalashnikov's design was the operative factor in this situation). I was surprised and intrigued by this fact. Since then I've set about to figuring out other machines and have been rewarded with an unexpected degree of success in my labors. So long as I put forth some effort I can generally make sense of how components in a system will interact with one another.

I don't consider myself mechanically inclined, but I'm not the technical dimwit I thought myself as a child.

Thomas777
03-07-2007, 04:33 AM

Do you really wish to have this conversation?

Kodos
03-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Do you really wish to have this conversation?

Morbid curiousity...

Thomas777
03-07-2007, 04:42 AM
Morbid curiousity...

I'm loaded right now so I will be a bit honest:

Promiscuous women never cease to be attractive...they're intoxicating. They are also subhuman and represent a completely degenerate tendency...I am sort of weak for them, and so are other men. The fact that I screw them makes my hostility towards them exponentially worse. Finally, the male sexual instinct is interstitially bound up with violence, and it really comes to the fore with women who are the most sexually desirable (i.e. promiscuous and oversexed).

Hence, I think it would be cathartic to cut them up...because it would satiate my constant, ripping, incessant misogyny, and also because it would allow me to explore my biological interests.

OK?

Dr. Gutberlet
03-07-2007, 04:44 AM
I am good with electronics. I am able to maintain and repair all my guitar gear- from guitars to effects to amps. Valve amps(americans would call them "tube amps") are a bitch to deal with, but valves are the only way for people with good ears for tone.

Kodos
03-07-2007, 04:45 AM
Perhaps my problem is I only hate the ones I have reasons to hate and am incapable of acting assholish to those I don't hate...

Thomas777
03-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Perhaps my problem is I only hate the ones I have reasons to hate and am incapable of acting assholish to those I don't hate...

Well, that is a greater weakness than being taken in by the charms of harlots, Kodos.

We all (to varying degrees) want to kill the ones we really want to fuck...that is why we marry the ones that aren't attractive on any bestial, visceral level. Its nature, and its all good.

Aule
03-07-2007, 05:18 AM
I was more interested in living things while growing up. Collecting and identifying mushrooms was one of my favorite things do to as a kid.

Burrhus
03-07-2007, 09:24 AM

Is that a pun?