PDA

View Full Version : My Awakening to the Lobster crisis.

Billy Score
03-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Last night i was walking to a burger king to get some food and then some coffee. As i was crossing the street i saw a sight which made me depressed and deeply saddened- a lobster half dead lying in the middle of the street across from a jewish catering restaurant. It still had its claws tied up and moved ever so slightly. I knelt over to see if it was injured and turned it over while some of the people across the street watched as it squirmed. This thing was helpless and going to die for no reason, not even for someone's food but simply for the laziness and apathy of the pieces of trash nearby.

I at first was going to rush over to CVS and pick up a piece of tupperware and fill with with water to provide some sort of makeshift place for the lobster and then decide what to do with it later, but then decided against this, the lobster was already weak and probably would die shortly, and lobsters need salt water, and even a healthy one wouldn't survive more than a day in fresh water.

So i had to leave, helpless to save the thing. This sort of thing angers me, i have always had much sympathy for lobsters, seeing them crowded in those tanks at restaurants always made me kind of repulsed. I have however, made my mind to do my part and save one or two of them. I will buy a lobster from one of the asian barbarian supermarkets that sells them live and keep it and raise it as if it were my own child. From my experience, crustaceans make excellent pets and are very entertaining. They are full of life and aggressive. My experience with crayfish and crabs has always been good, and although hermit crabs are wimpy, they are endearing. Lobsters and crayfish have this permanently angry look to them. They look pissed off, and it shows in their "personality"

I suggest everyone do their part and try to save at least one precious lobster.

Scales
03-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Last night i was walking to a burger king to get some food and then some coffee. As i was crossing the street i saw a sight which made me depressed and deeply saddened- a lobster half dead lying in the middle of the street across from a jewish catering restaurant.
You realise that Jews don't eat shellfish? No 'Jewish catering restaurant' serves lobster.

Maybe that's why the bastards tossed its body aside in disgust instead of boiling it to death and scooping its innards out of its shiny red exoskeleton. They should have let it die with honour, if you ask me.

Billy Score
03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
I thought it was only those rastafarians.

Well if it isn't a jewish one (the name of the place is SHAPIRO'S for christs'sake) it is generally a jewish hang out as i have never seen a gentile in or around the place. This is a mystery then, why would a lobster be found there?

Scales
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
False Jews, just like Farrakhan said.

sugartits
03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Lobsters are pretty cool. Could they be kept well as pets? I was thinking of buying some for that purpose, currently I only have artificial lobsters.

How dangerous are the claws?

(googling lobster)

Billy Score
03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Lobsters are pretty cool. Could they be kept well as pets? I was thinking of buying some for that purpose, currently I only have artificial lobsters.

(googling lobster)
Probably no big deal. none of my crabs or crayfish ever really did much harm with them and if you handle them correctly you won't even have to worry about the claws. the claws are a scare tactic, when they see that you are still undeterred when they threaten you with the claws, they generally scoot away rapidly.

Berianidze
03-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Probably no big deal. none of my crabs or crayfish ever really did much harm with them and if you handle them correctly you won't even have to worry about the claws. the claws are a scare tactic, when they see that you are still undeterred when they threaten you with the claws, they generally scoot away rapidly.

Did you put it out of its misery or leave it? Not that I'm all that more sympathetic to animals than I am people; but I know your position on animals.

Billy Score
03-22-2006, 08:17 PM
it was already have dead, i figured i might as well leave it alone, it is bad enough it was going through what it was, let along having me harass it. I didn't touch it since it was probably a few moments from dying. I wouldn't have had to the heart to do it anyway.

Scales
03-22-2006, 08:35 PM
You should have stomped on it just to make sure.

Berianidze
03-23-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm far from beliving animals have any inherent rights (the same would be applied to humans) but I wouldn't condone someone just letting something go to waste as discarding something or even complete indifference to one that fell off...if it was for sanitary reasons they could've washed it off, and even still, after it was cooked the boiling process would've surely killed any bacteria/waste that gathered on it.

Billy Score
03-23-2006, 04:45 AM
I'm far from beliving animals have any inherent rights (the same would be applied to humans) .
:mad: You're an asshole:mad:

Donny the Punk
03-23-2006, 04:46 AM
I've read of 19th century Frenchmen taking pet lobsters for walks on leashes in the Luxembourg. :p

Leif
03-23-2006, 04:47 AM
Mazdak, unblock me on AIM.

sugartits
03-23-2006, 04:48 AM
I was just this evening discussing lobsters with a friend of mine, who informed me that the preferred way of cooking them for Chinese food is to cut them up while they are still alive. I thought it was harsh to throw them in boiling water. :|

Ahknaton
03-23-2006, 05:32 AM
I've read of 19th century Frenchmen taking pet lobsters for walks on leashes in the Luxembourg. :p
:rofl:

How long can they survive out of water? I know they're amphibious but don't they dry up if they're out of water too long?

Carlos Danger
03-23-2006, 10:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_de_Nerval

Nerval had a pet lobster. He took it for walks in Paris on the end of a blue ribbon. He regarded them as "peaceful, serious creatures, who know the secrets of the sea, and don't bark".

Ahmadinebobina
03-23-2006, 12:28 PM
That is the cutest thing i've ever heard :D

Pinchyyy!!

Jimbo Gomez
03-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Save the bobsters. :p

Ahmadinebobina
03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
gotta love the bobs :D

Jimbo Gomez
03-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Bobs will one day rule the universe. And mazdak will work for us like a little slave.

Ahmadinebobina
03-23-2006, 06:41 PM
He will be a bob like us, silly.

Berianidze
03-23-2006, 06:42 PM
:mad: You're an asshole:mad:

ROFL I am against any cruelty towards animals, but I do this out of principle and kindness in my heart, not the belief that they have any intrinsic rights. I find it disturbing to hurt a creature, particularly a defenseless animal. Humans on the other hand have to be punished for their social crimes...a completely different story. But I'm unconvinced that they have any rights in the traditional sense.

That doesn't mean I go out and tie fire-crackers to the tails of cats, or beat up stray dogs.

Ahmadinebobina
03-23-2006, 06:43 PM
you made scáthach cry :(

Jimbo Gomez
03-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Who? Me or that deranged bolshevik?

Ahmadinebobina
03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Both.
You know what you did, bob. *hmph*

Scales
03-23-2006, 06:50 PM
What's a bob/ster?

Jimbo Gomez
03-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Sigh, are you still mad at me because supposedly I don't acknowledge my bobbishness enough Bobina? For Christ's sake woman, that was 90 seconds ago, stop living in the past.

Ahmadinebobina
03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Oh bob, damnit, i can't stay made at you :D

Johnson
03-23-2006, 11:25 PM
I can't be the only one who thought the Maz should have deposited it nearer or inside the Jewish restaurant.

Billy Score
03-24-2006, 12:14 AM
1. what the hell is a bobster?
2. I am no man's slave.
3. I never thought about giving it to the heebs, but then again i didn't know they had something against eating lobsters. I thought only jamaicans did that.
4. Lobsters and crayfish need to keep their gills moist or they die. But as long as they can do this they can leave the water for however long they need to (i don't know about lobsters as much, but judging from crayfish, it seems feasible). However i had a crayfish that once climbed out of its tank using the filter cord. We found its dried out husk a year later in another part of the house. Poor baby :(

Ahmadinebobina
03-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Bob is charles, and i am bobina (bobbinsdottir)
Basically, we are adopting you as our child after this thread. you will be bobster.

Jimbo Gomez
03-24-2006, 08:02 AM
No use resisting mazdak, your elders have decided for you.

Billy Score
03-24-2006, 03:15 PM
No use resisting mazdak, your elders have decided for you.
What about my freedom of choice and my rights?

Ahmadinebobina
03-24-2006, 08:52 PM
give them up, son. You're a bob now.

Ahmadinebobina
03-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Today at lunch there were two lobsters in an aquarium thingy with their claws bound obviously waiting to be 'picked' for dinner.
It was horrible :( :( :(

Ambrosio Spinola
03-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Today at lunch there were two lobsters in an aquarium thingy with their claws bound obviously waiting to be 'picked' for dinner.
It was horrible :( :( :(

Why? Are some sort of vegetarian?

Ahmadinebobina
03-25-2006, 04:08 PM
God no, i just feel for the bobsters waddling around the water with their claws all tied up and their teeny, beady eyes all scared..

I did proceed, however, to eat some damn fine beef.

Scales
03-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Why? Are some sort of vegetarian?
Vegetarian is a perfect anagram of Tree Vagina.

Ambrosio Spinola
03-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Vegetarian is a perfect anagram of Tree Vagina.

Not sure I can follow you there my friend.

I did proceed, however, to eat some damn fine beef.

Ha!...ever been to a beef procesing plant?

Scales
03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
No, you're right it's completely meaningless.

bardamu
03-25-2006, 05:07 PM
You realise that Jews don't eat shellfish? No 'Jewish catering restaurant' serves lobster.

Mazdak pwnd.

Ahmadinebobina
03-25-2006, 11:30 PM

Ha!...ever been to a beef procesing plant?

Of course not, if i had i'd be here whining about the cattle.

infoterror
03-26-2006, 12:04 AM
As i was crossing the street i saw a sight which made me depressed and deeply saddened- a lobster half dead lying in the middle of the street across from a jewish catering restaurant.

Lobsters are a linguistic group, not a phenotype.

Ahmadinebobina
03-26-2006, 01:11 PM
ahahahahahahahaha :D

Jimbo Gomez
03-27-2006, 07:20 AM
What about my freedom of choice and my rights?

Abolished under the law of Bob.

Ahmadinebobina
03-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Good ol' boblaw.

Jimbo Gomez
03-27-2006, 10:42 AM
We must secure a future for all Bobs Bobina. No time to get softhearted now, as you implied. The good old Boblaw shall protect our kind until it is strong enough to take over the world. And mazdak will be sitting by our side overlooking it as our pet. :)

Carlos Danger
03-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Scientists Discover 'Hairy Lobster' in Deepest Pacific (http://www.thephora.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4996)

Carlos Danger
03-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Chef Gordon Ramsay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Ramsay)

You always feel better after killing something. I do. Whenever I get pissed off with the cooks now, you can’t push them or hit them or kick them or slap them around, like you could 10 years ago, so what do you do? **** it, you stab the head off a lobster. You feel all the better for it. And it stops women being squeamish. God knows how many I’ve killed. We used to plunge them into boiling court bouillon, and their tails flip up and they scream and you can hear their claws scraping on the sides, and I got great pleasure out of that.

:D

Billy Score
03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
when i come to power cowcube will be the first to be put up against the wall.

There has been a recent bout of lobster threads on the phora and elsewhere. Perhaps this is part of an upsurge in Lobster Nationalism?

Carlos Danger
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Lobster Liberation Front declares war on fishermen (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/07/30/nlob30.xml)

Police are investigating a claim by an animal rights extremist group that it was responsible for releasing a fisherman's lobsters, seriously damaging his boathouse and splashing red paint around his home.

The statement by an organisation calling itself the Lobster Liberation Front included a warning that "the war against the lobster industry has begun". The notice, which was posted anonymously on the Southern Animal Rights Coalition website, added: "We will attack anywhere, at any time, and pots will be smashed, boats sunk and sea life liberated."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2004/07/30/nlob30.jpg
The Lobster Liberation Front says it will liberate Crustacea

It added: "No animal should be sacrificed for human greed, let alone boiled alive."

The statement, which was being treated "seriously" by police, follows attacks on the property of Jonathan Lander, 42, a fisherman from Swanage, Dorset. In May, his boathouse was badly damaged and 50 of his lobster pots were vandalised. Last month, his boat was damaged, 30 live lobsters and three crabs were released from his pots and returned to the sea, and red paint was thrown over his house.

Mr Lander, a father of two, said: "The Lander family has been lobster fishing in Dorset for over 200 years. If these people have a real problem with what we do they should have the decency to come and speak to us and not threaten my family or our livelihood."

The LLF claimed that its "buccaneers" had torn off the front of the boathouse, and cut up the 30 lobster pots before crushing them. A further 20 pots were sabotaged on the slipway.

In the second attack, the group said two of its members went out to sea in a boat and found 30 lobsters and three crabs being stored in pots with their claws bound with elastic bands.

It added: "The bands were cut and the marine life returned to the sea." The group said its members then ripped down the radio mast from Mr Lander's lobster boat, put the engine out of action and cut the anchor cable. Fish crates, rods, lifejackets and other equipment were thrown overboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_Liberation_Front

Ahmadinebobina
03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I think we shall take cowcube on as bobcube.

Jimbo Gomez
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
That'd be acceptable. What about Ebobitanus?

Billy Score
03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I am going to make a donation to the LLF via PETA. Sad, i know.

Ahmadinebobina
03-27-2006, 09:29 PM
That's super sweet, actually!

Carlos Danger
04-29-2006, 09:15 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12533925/

ROME - An Italian restaurant was fined 688 euros ($855) for displaying live lobsters on ice to attract patrons, in an innovative application of an anti-cruelty law usually affecting household pets.

A court in the northeastern city of Vicenza ruled the display was a form of abuse dooming the crustaceans to a slow death by suffocation.

"We're appealing," said Giuseppe Scalesia, who runs La Conchiglia D'Oro, or "Golden Shell," restaurant along with his brother Camillo.

"They said that the lobsters, lying on the ice, suffer.... They compared them in court to other animals, like cats and dogs."

The case was brought by Gianpaolo Cecchetto, a former environmental activist, who took his two young children to the Vicenza restaurant in May 2002.

"They were shocked by the display," Cecchetto told Reuters, adding he immediately got in touch with the the ENPA national animal protection entity. "ENPA took care of the lawyers and legal proceedings."

Italy has some of the world's toughest animal rights laws. The city of Rome in October banned goldfish bowls, seen as cruel, while Turin passed a law last year that would fine dog owners 500 euros unless they walked their canine friends at least three times a day.

riddlemethis
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM

(googling lobster)

Lobsters are indeed cool. They can extract oxygen from the air if their gills are kept moist; thus they can live out of water for a few days if kept in a damp, cool place. (That would explain the lobster-walking habits of Gerard de Nerval, etc.) Lobster claws pose a threat to other lobsters as well as humans, hence the rubber bands you see on captive lobsters.

The species you'll find for sale at markets is Homarus americanus (http://www.parl.ns.ca/lobster/overview.htm). Its habitat is the seabed of the Northwest Atlantic, so you'll need a chiller for your aquarium. As most pet lobsters are of freshwater species, I couldn't find any information on pH or anything else you'll need to keep saltwater lobsters for long periods of time - but the owner of a restaurant or market will know how to keep them alive (though not necessarily healthy). Putting more than one lobster in the same tank wouldn't be the greatest of plans. According to this site (http://www.njscuba.net/biology/sw_lobster.html), 18 percent of a lobster's diet consists of other lobsters. Evidently they'll eat practically anything that hails from the sea and squirms (or has once squirmed), so feeding your lobsters raw shrimp would suffice for a start.

Good luck, Maz.

Geist
04-30-2006, 04:55 PM
The wiki was edited by somebody to include Mazdak.

Carlos Danger
04-30-2006, 07:17 PM
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/jpirie/images/lobster.jpg

Ahmadinebobina
04-30-2006, 07:37 PM
that is not remotely attractive :O

Billy Score
04-30-2006, 11:07 PM
that is not remotely attractive :O
Only to a primitive female with no aesthetic taste. Women wouldn't know beauty if it hit them in the face. Oprah and MTV tell them what beauty is.

Ahmadinebobina
04-30-2006, 11:56 PM
not the lobsters, i've already stated a thousand times i love them.
i meant the human bodies.

Carlos Danger
07-08-2007, 03:56 PM
http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB118375568129659493.html

NEW YORK -- I am standing next to Eric Ripert, chef of the famous seafood restaurant Le Bernardin here, confronting a common culinary fear: We are about to kill a lobster. Mr. Ripert, who uses a knife to dispatch lobsters, raises his weapon. I mimic him. This is a moment I -- like many home cooks -- have been avoiding all my life.

One of the biggest debates in lobster cookery is the best method to take the creature's life: boiling, steaming, or killing the lobster with a knife. Most pro chefs eschew boiling, which they say can produce rubbery, waterlogged meat. On the other methods, there are two camps. Some like to steam them, including Jasper White of the Massachusetts-based Summer Shack restaurant chain. Mr. Ripert is among those who prefer the knife kill, believing it to be quicker and more compassionate.

It's also a challenge if you haven't done it before. You can avoid the chore by buying cooked and chilled lobster meat and even frozen lobster tails, but the meat is less fresh, the texture is compromised and it's more expensive. The best way to cook lobster at home is to kill it yourself. Lobsters are plentiful right now, and there are few dishes as summery as a lobster roll or, for a more refined meal, poached lobster with a delicate vinaigrette.

But these are turbulent times for lobster lovers. The issue of cruelty to food animals has gained traction. The city of Chicago, for instance, has banned foie gras. Lobsters have been targeted, too, with some stores suspending sales; in 2004, Italy's Emilia-Romagna region made it illegal to boil lobsters alive.

"The only place city folks encounter killing their food is with lobsters. That's what makes it such a hot-button issue," says Jelle Atema, a lobster expert and professor of biology at Boston University.

Does it make a difference to the lobster? Diana Cowen, a senior scientist at the Lobster Conservancy in Maine, says that people should cook lobsters in whatever way they like best to eat them, even if that means a longer suffering period (Ms. Cowen chooses to steam her lobsters). Lobsters have clusters of nerves that independently control every segment of their bodies. Though the lobster's brain is the master control operator, the body parts can act independently. She theorizes that this may mean that they register pain only in isolated parts of their bodies, minimizing their suffering. In addition, lobsters can autotomize, which is the ability to break off a claw or leg if the appendage is damaged.

"If something really bothers them, they drop their parts. If you drop them in boiling water and they don't drop their parts, maybe they don't feel it," says Ms. Cowen. Boston University's Dr. Atema advises to kill the lobsters as quickly as possible. "The best way to do it, in my recommendation, is to place them head first in vigorously boiling water," he says.

I witnessed my first mass lobster execution while working as an assistant pastry chef nine years ago at No. 9 Park in Boston. I sensed movement behind me and pivoted around to see the last of a legion of blue-black shelled lobsters being dropped into boiling water. One lobster on top had its claw hooked over the pot's rim, its head above the others. I turned my back and shivered. Since then, despite my career as a free-lance writer and cookbook author, I have avoided killing -- and thus cooking -- lobsters altogether.

Now, armed with scientific reasoning that I'm not being sadistic, I go to Mr. Ripert about preparing lobster. He leads me to a worktable, where one of two 1½-pound lobsters is complacently waiting its demise while the other inches toward a mirage of freedom at the edge of the countertop.

Mr. Ripert slides the escapee back to the cutting board and places a hand firmly on its back. (He leaves the rubber bands around the lobsters' claws so he doesn't get pinched.) Then he places the tip of the knife in the cross where the head of the lobster meets the body and, with a quick jab and downward swish, splits the lobster's head in half.

I attempt to copy, but after making my initial plunge, I have trouble forcing the knife through the lobster's unexpectedly hard underside. Mr. Ripert grabs the knife and finishes the job. My lobster dies instantly. Mental note: Next time, put more muscle into it.

Once the deed is done, Mr. Ripert proceeds to twist off the claws and tail. The claws go into a saucepan of boiling water and are soon followed by the tails, which are threaded onto a skewer and wrapped in plastic wrap to keep them straight (this makes removing the meat easier). During the eight minutes it takes to cook, we whip up a Dijon vinaigrette to dress baby lettuces and the poached lobster meat.

We slice the tail on a diagonal into coins, use the whole claw as a focal point on the plate and drizzle the vinaigrette over all. I take a bite. It's rich and light at the same time, most definitely a taste worth wielding your knife for.

Draco
07-08-2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.picturefish.com/images/food/lobster.jpg

http://www.soniahalliday.com/gallery/worldReligions/cul01m.jpg

They're certainly cuter than jews at least.

Ratatoskur
07-08-2007, 06:36 PM

http://www.jimbo.info/weblog/archives/CrabPeople2.jpg
Crab people!

Billy Score
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
http://www.picturefish.com/images/food/lobster.jpg

http://www.soniahalliday.com/gallery/worldReligions/cul01m.jpg

of course they are cuter than jews. they are also far less cowardly and far more useful to their environment.

tempus fugit
07-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I agree with Billy Score on this issue.

Draco
07-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Boiling shellfish alive was illegal under Hitler. :)

Carlos Danger
07-12-2007, 01:31 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/6288640.stm

An experienced diver told how he "wrestled" a 3ft (0.9m) lobster into a string bag after it attacked him.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42489000/jpg/_42489322_giantlobster203.jpg

Chris Hovard, from Wyke Regis, Dorset, was diving when the creature - weighing more than 10lbs - scuttled towards him near Weymouth jetty on Saturday.

The 51-year-old, who has been diving for 34 years, said he had never seen a crustacean "anywhere near this size".

The lobster, he named Lemmy after the lead singer of rock band Motorhead, is now at Weymouth's Sea Life Park.

Mr Hovard said: "I was diving when I spotted an old boiler which I believe may have been used in the Northe Fort in the olden days and then was thrown into the sea when it was no longer needed.

"I was swimming around it when the lobster came at me, its claws snapping.

"I could hardly get my hand across the back of its shell.

"You'd need a saddle to ride it. I managed to get it with a pincer movement.

"The commotion stirred up a silt cloud which momentarily stunned him and this was when I managed to grab him."

The Northe Fort is a restored Victorian fort now used as a museum.

Ratatoskur
07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
This... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIM3egcKMgs)
..aaaannd this, to clarify that lobsters are not all goody two shoes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8beWiypYAW8)

Ahknaton
07-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I had a conversation about boiling lobsters with a vet ages ago. Apparently the most humane way to kill them is to put them in an ice-water mixture for about 20 minutes, which puts them into a kind of sleep/coma, then drop them straight into boiling water. They die in about 15 seconds. It's also possible to kill them with a knife beforehand, but because their nervous system is spread across several nodes around their body you have to be pretty proficient (i.e. a trained chef) to do it properly and make it quicker than just boiling them alive.

B-Pep
07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I had a conversation about boiling lobsters with a vet ages ago. Apparently the most humane way to kill them is to put them in an ice-water mixture for about 20 minutes, which puts them into a kind of sleep/coma, then drop them straight into boiling water. They die in about 15 seconds. It's also possible to kill them with a knife beforehand, but because their nervous system is spread across several nodes around their body you have to be pretty proficient (i.e. a trained chef) to do it properly and make it quicker than just boiling them alive.

Why do you have to eat lobsters in the first place? Lobsters are pretty much overgrown insects.

The best thing to do is not to eat animals, and if you have to eat them (non-kosher slaughter) eat beef. To torture animals, even for 15 seconds by boiling them alive is the worst fate for any innocent creature (humans not included).

Ahknaton
07-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Why do you have to eat lobsters in the first place? Lobsters are pretty much overgrown insects.

The best thing to do is not to eat animals, and if you have to eat them (non-kosher slaughter) eat beef. To torture animals, even for 15 seconds by boiling them alive is the worst fate for any innocent creature (humans not included).
I don't eat lobster personally, but if there are people who do, they may as well dispatch them in the most humane way possible.

Ahmadinebobina
07-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I loved this thread when it happened, like I love all creatures [except dolphins obviously]

Carlos Danger
11-08-2007, 11:34 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/nov/08/animalrights.sciencenews

Sensitive chefs, avert your eyes now. An investigation into the most contentious of kitchen dilemmas has reached its unpalatable conclusion: lobsters do feel pain.

The question of crustaceans' ability to experience pain has become an unlikely obsession for some scientists. Over the past few decades, the question has been batted back and forth as fresh evidence comes to light. Two years ago, Norwegian researchers declared the answer was a firm no, claiming the animals' nervous systems were not complex enough.

The latest salvo, published in New Scientist today, comes from Robert Elwood, an expert in animal behaviour at Queen's University, Belfast. With help from colleagues, he set about finding an answer by daubing acetic acid on to the antennae of 144 prawns.

Immediately, the creatures began grooming and rubbing the affected antenna, while leaving untouched ones alone, a response Prof Elwood says is "consistent with an interpretation of pain experience". The same pain sensitivity is likely to be shared by lobsters, crabs and other crustaceans, the researchers believe.

Prof Elwood says that sensing pain is crucial even for the most lowly of animals because it allows them to change their behaviour after damaging experiences and so increase their chances of survival.

The claim will add weight to campaigns by animal rights organisations which protest against lobsters being boiled alive.

But conscientious eaters need not, necessarily, abandon lobster. Other scientists believe the debate is far from over. Many think only vertebrates have advanced enough nervous systems to feel pain, and suspect that the prawns' reaction to having acid daubed on their antennae was an attempt to clean them.

"Shrimps do not have a recognisable brain," said Lynne Sneddon, a Liverpool University researcher who has studied pain in fish. "You could argue the shrimp is simply trying to clean the antenna rather than showing a pain response."

Richard Chapman, from the University of Utah's pain research centre in Salt Lake City, stressed that most animals possessed receptors which responded to irritants. "Even a single-cell organism can detect a threatening chemical gradient and retreat from it," he said. "But this is not sensing pain."

Prof Elwood insists such arguments are flawed. "Using the same analogy, one could argue crabs do not have vision because they lack the visual centres of humans," he said. He urged further work looking at whether crustaceans have the neurological architecture to feel pain.

Carlos Danger
03-28-2009, 01:27 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/4213315/George-the-140-year-old-lobster-to-be-released-by-New-York-restaurant.html

The crustacean, which was plucked from its watery bed off the coast of Canada, weighed in at a hefty 20lb - leading experts to judge it has lived for 140 years.

If their assessment is correct, George might have been born in 1869, the same year as Neville Chamberlain, Mahatma Gandhi and Henri Matisse.

Sold to the City Crab and Seafood restaurant for $100 (£66), the lobster quickly became a tourist attraction as families fought to have their photographs taken alongside its tank.

However, when animal rights activists raised fears that the shelled animal would be eaten, the restaurant immediately said it would return George to the wild.

"We bought a big lobster, started taking pictures with kids and it worked out real well," said Keith Valenti, the restaurant's manager.

He said it was a "no brainer" to return the animal to the ocean. It will now be released off the coast of Maine in an area where lobster fishing is forbidden.

Mr Valenti said a lobster's lifespan was calculated by multiplying every pound it weighed by seven. He said it was not uncommon for their age to exceed 100 years.

"We applaud the folks at City Crab and Seafood for their compassionate decision to allow this noble old-timer to live out his days in freedom and peace," said a spokeswoman for People for Ethical Treatment of Animals.