The Phora  

Go Back   The Phora > The Academy > Physical Anthropology
User Name
Password
Blog Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Physical Anthropology The study of the physical characteristics, variability, and evolution of human races. NOTE: "Classify me" type threads go to the Lounge forum below.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Britney Hitler

Default Pygmies in Cameroon explained by genetics, say researchers

Quote:
University of Pennsylvania researchers say that natural selection and certain genes allowed pygmies to better adapt to hot and dense tropical forests where food is scarce.

"There's been a long-standing debate about why Pygmies are so short and whether it is an adaptation to living in a tropical environment," said lead author Sarah Tishkoff of the University of Pennsylvania, according to Discovery News.

Pygmy men, standing at just 4'11" on average, have a lifespan of less than 18 years.
Pygmies in Cameroon explained by genetics, say researchers

- which appears to be proof of genetic variations in different races of humanity. However what struck me as extraordinary, is the part that gives them a lifespan of less than 18 years. Can that really be true?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Established member

I'm not sure what was there to debate about. From an evolutionary point of view, this explanation should have been accepted from the outset. I guess they had to first try to come up with an answer that didn't debunk the notion race doesn't exist, then just said the obvious when that possibility didn't present itself.