The Phora  

Go Back   The Phora > The Academy > Political Arena
User Name
Password
Blog Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Political Arena The art of talking with your eyes closed. Politics in Europe and North America. Geopolitics. Everything political.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 AM
Established member

Default Why Conservatives Have Lost

I suppose the best example in my lifetime was Franklin Roosevelt’s decision in 1944 to replace Henry Wallace with Harry Truman as Vice President. Henry Wallace was the most radical political figure ever to advance to national politics. He was further to the left than Huey Long. He would have replaced Roosevelt in April of 1945. Had he done so, America would be a far better place to live in. Harry Truman personally imposed the modern national security state. It was Truman who created the CIA. It was Truman who created the foundation of the Department of Homeland Security. It was Truman who expanded America’s Empire around the world. It was Truman who got us into the Korean War, and would not even call it a war, never gaining congressional approval. Wallace would never have been able to get that through Congress, because conservatives in Congress would have opposed him. Everybody knew how far to the left he was, and he had no national constituency of his own. Conservatives looked at Truman as preferable to Wallace. They make that sort of mistake all the time.

So, the conservative movement by its own nature is not an effective political competitor. Because local issues are far more tied to social issues, where conservatives say a country is established, they are better equipped to fight political battles of the local level than liberals are. Liberals look to Washington for salvation; conservatives ought to look to county government as a barrier against the expansion of the federal government into their lives. But they do not know the philosophy of local government which undergirded the foundation of this nation, beginning in the colonial era, and extending even through the period immediately preceding the ratification of the Constitution. That legacy has got to be restored, and conservatives have got to adopt it. If they do not adopt it, we are simply going to get more of the same, until the federal government finally goes belly-up.

Sadly, I think that is what is going to happen. I do not think most conservatives are going to spend the time, money, and effort to build up local resistance governments at the county level to step in when Washington’s checks bounce. They will have to do it after the Great Default.

the rest: http://lewrockwell.com/north/north1124.html
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Sunburned. Sunbent. Sunbroken.

Oh noes! Not the conservatives! They've done us so much good in the past!
That's all the truth I know
A coat of gold or a coat of red
A lion still has claws
And mine are long and sharp, my lord
As long and sharp as your's
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Established member

One big problem about "conservatives" is that most don't base their conservatism on any fixed idea, most base it around their opinions gained in their childhood and early adulthood. The great "conservative'" Ronald Reagan was an admirer of FDR who was president during Reagan's youth, so Reagan supported world wide military action and big spending. So as the country goes leftward the "conservatives" also move leftward just slower then the leftists. And so “conservative” magazines like National Review base their conservatism on the leaders of their youth, the Bush’s, so diversity, open borders, globalism, etc are now conservative.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapple
One big problem about "conservatives" is that most don't base their conservatism on any fixed idea, most base it around their opinions gained in their childhood and early adulthood. The great "conservative'" Ronald Reagan was an admirer of FDR who was president during Reagan's youth, so Reagan supported world wide military action and big spending. So as the country goes leftward the "conservatives" also move leftward just slower then the leftists. And so “conservative” magazines like National Review base their conservatism on the leaders of their youth, the Bush’s, so diversity, open borders, globalism, etc are now conservative.
True, and a good laugh.