The Phora  

Go Back   The Phora > The Academy > High Culture
User Name
Password
Blog Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

High Culture The finer things in life: art, literature, poetry, music.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperborean Gnostic
I Love Lovecraft! I am a later-comer to his works (only started reading him 6 odd months ago).
He certainly is interesting. the Complete works of H. P. Lovecraft
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/ This is a good site to use "HTTrack" upon.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtalus
He certainly is interesting. the Complete works of H. P. Lovecraft
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/ This is a good site to use "HTTrack" upon.

Thankyou! I am missing a few works, this is great - one place to find them all
Old 04-14-2017, 11:15 PM
Established member

It seems that Robert E. Howard had more "Right Libertarian" views than Lovecraft - he did not much like Fascist discipline, as he romantically idolized wild freedom. This was written after Italy had invaded Ethiopia:

http://boingboing.net/2014/06/24/rob...s-the-but.html

Quote:
Robert Howard explains the butchersome logic of empire to HP Lovecraft

Robert E Howard's 1935 letter to HP Lovecraft schools Lovecraft on his unthinking acceptance of authoritarian dogma:
You express amazement at my statement that ‘civilized’ men try to justify their looting, butchering and plundering by claiming that these things are done in the interests of art, progress and culture. That this simple statement of fact should cause surprize, amazes me in return. People claiming to possess superior civilization have always veneered their rapaciousness by such claims…

Your friend Mussolini is a striking modern-day example. In that speech of his I heard translated he spoke feelingly of the expansion of civilization. From time to time he has announced; 'The sword and civilization go hand in hand!’ 'Wherever the Italian flag waves it will be as a symbol of civilization!’ 'Africa must be brought into civilization!’ It is not, of course, because of any selfish motive that he has invaded a helpless country, bombing, burning and gassing both combatants and non-combatants by the thousands.

Oh, no, according to his own assertions it is all in the interests of art, culture and progress, just as the German war-lords were determined to confer the advantages of Teutonic Kultur on a benighted world, by fire and lead and steel. Civilized nations never, never have selfish motives for butchering, raping and looting; only horrid barbarians have those.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:30 PM
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr
It seems that Robert E. Howard had more "Right Libertarian" views than Lovecraft - he did not much like Fascist discipline, as he romantically idolized wild freedom. This was written after Italy had invaded Ethiopia:

I view fascism as war culture. It comes forth as response to outside threat. It is beautiful in the way the military and war are beautiful but as such has its limits. Fascism can challenge judaic globalization and white genocide. I see no other culture that can or even possessing the vocabulary to name the enemy, much less defeat it. If we ever ridded ourselves of this pestilence then fascist culture could be largely dismantled.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardamu
I view fascism as war culture. It comes forth as response to outside threat. It is beautiful in the way the military and war are beautiful but as such has its limits.
Martial attitude and warlike conditions are indeed indispensable ingredients of Fascism. It cannot flourish in a mellow peaceful atmosphere.

As I said elsewhere:

http://www.thephora.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=48

Quote:
And as for Chile, we can see the familiar depressing pattern: when people no longer fear danger, they want to relax and hedonistically enjoy the fruits of security, not feeling gratitude to Pinochet for saving them from Communist chaos and oppression. Rudyard Kipling pithily noted this practically universal phenomenon:
In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things righted,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.
This is the essence of decadent Leftism - scorning God and martial people, and thinking that unlimited resources and full security are here to stay, and therefore we no longer need those grim and demanding patriarchal figures (beginning with Heavenly Father) to order us around.
One thing that genuinely connects fundamentalist Christianity and Fascism is the aversion to the ideal of peaceful co-existence. Pious Christians are supposed to be in spiritual warfare on every day of their earthly lives, struggling against sin and trying to destroy false gods, and history shows that sometimes this pugnacious attitude can slip into physical warfare as well.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth"