The Phora  

Go Back   The Phora > The Academy > Psychology
User Name
Password
Blog Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Psychology The study of the mind, brain, and behavior.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

Default Intelligence Profile of The Jews

http://home.comcast.net/~neoeugenics/IQgenes.htm

Quote:
Data reviewed in Chapter 5 indicate a general Jewish overrepresentation in a wide range of fields in the modern world, including business, science, social science, literature, and the arts. At the pinnacle of achievement, Jewish overrepresentation is particularly striking. Patai and Patai (1989, 159) show that Jews received a highly disproportionate number of Nobel prizes in all categories from 1901 to 1985, including 11 percent for literature, 12.7 percent for chemistry, 20.2 percent for physics, 35.2 percent for physiology and medicine, and 26.1 percent for economics. Moreover, the extent of overrepresentation has increased since World War II, since Jews were awarded twice the number of prizes in the years 1943-1972 compared to 1901-1930. In Germany, Jews received 10 of 32 Nobel prizes awarded to German citizens between 1905 and 1931 despite constituting less than 1 percent of the population during this period (Gordon 1984, 14).

Studies of gifted children are of particular interest because IQs in the gifted range are unlikely to result from environmental influences acting on individuals whose genetic potential is near the population mean. Terman's (1926) classic study found twice as many Jewish gifted children as expected on the basis of their representation in the population, although the true representation of Jews in this group may have been higher because some may have concealed their Jewish identity. These subjects had IQs ranging from 135 to 200 with a mean of 151. One of Terman's Jewish subjects had an IQ of 184 when tested at age seven. His close relatives included a chief rabbi from Moscow, a prominent lawyer, a self-made millionaire, a concert pianist, a writer, and a prominent Polish scientist. His maternal great-grandfather was a rabbi famous for his compilation of a Jewish calendar spanning over 400 years, and the rabbi's descendants (the boy's cousins) had IQs of 156, 150, 130, and 122.

Research suggests an average IQ of Ashkenazi Jewish children in the range of 117. In two studies of representative samples of Jewish children, Bachman (1970) and Vincent (1966) found an average IQ of 117 and 117.8, respectively, although Vincent's results are said to be an underestimate because they excluded a large percentage of an elite group of Jewish children attending fee-paying schools.

There is good evidence that Jewish children's Verbal IQ is considerably higher than their Performance IQ. Brown (1944) found several sub-test differences compatible with the hypothesis that Jewish children are higher on verbal abilities, while Scandinavian children are higher on visuo-spatial abilities. Lesser, Fifer, and Clark (1965) found large differences favoring Jewish children over Chinese-American children on verbal ability, but insignificant differences in favor of Chinese-American children on visuo-spatial abilities. And Backman (1972) found that Jewish subjects were significantly higher than non-Jewish Caucasians on a measure of verbal knowledge but were significantly lower on visuo-spatial reasoning.

Large verbal/performance IQ differences have been found within Jewish populations. Levinson (1958) studied a representative sample of yeshiva students and found an average Verbal IQ of 125.6, an average Performance IQ of 105.3, and an average Full Scale IQ of 117.86, although he suggests that there may have been a ceiling effect for some students on the verbal portion. Whereas in the general population there was a correlation of 0.77 between Verbal and Performance IQs, among Jewish children it was only 0.31. Finally, Levinson (1960b) found that a sample of Jewish boys (age 10-13) with an average Verbal IQ of 117 had a Performance IQ of 98, while Irish and Italian samples matched for Full Scale IQ had Verbal/Performance differences of only approximately 5 points (approximately 110-105). Levinson (1959) provides evidence that the Verbal/Performance difference for Jewish children increases from pre-school to young adulthood. When children were matched on the basis of full-scale Wechsler IQ, pre-school children showed a small (3-point) difference between Performance and Verbal IQ, while elementary school-age and college student subjects showed a difference of approximately 20 points.

Taken together, the data suggest a mean IQ in the 117 range for Ashkenazi Jewish children, with a Verbal IQ in the range of 125 and a Performance IQ in the average range. These results, if correct, would indicate a difference of almost two standard deviations from the Caucasian mean in Verbal IQ exactly the type of intellectual ability that has been the focus of Jewish education and eugenic practices. While precise numerical estimates remain somewhat doubtful, there can be no doubt about the general superiority of the Ashkenazi Jewish children on measures of verbal intelligence (see also Patai & Patai 1989, 149).

There are important implications of the finding of higher verbal intelligence among Jews. Lynn (1992) notes that higher socio-economic status groups tend to have high verbal intelligence, but these groups are not particularly high on Visuo-spatial abilities. This indicates that verbal intelligence is more important for upward mobility and success in contemporary societies, and this was undoubtedly the case in traditional stratified societies as well: Wilken (1983) notes that education in rhetoric was the key to upward mobility in the Greco-Roman world of antiquity.

In this regard, it is worth mentioning that economic historians have noticed that Jewish economic activity has tended not to be characterized by technological innovation related to mechanical abilities tapped by tests of visuo-spatial abilities (i.e., Performance IQ). Thus, Mosse (1987, 166) suggests that the distinguishing features of Jewish economic activity in 19th-century Germany are to be found "less in outright innovation or invention than in a special aptitude for economic 'mediation' in the forms of the export of German goods, of 'secondary innovation', technology transfer through the introduction into Germany of processes and methods observed abroad, and new techniques for the stimulation of demand."

This is a difficult area because a theme of anti-Semitic writing in Germany was that Jews were not innovators, but only appropriated the inventions of others (Mosse 1987, 166, 404). Anti-Semites emphasized that inventors of new technology such as Rudolf Diesel and Werner von Siemons were predominantly gentile, while several Jewish fortunes in technical areas, such as those of Ludwig Loewe and Emil Rathenau, were made by importing technology that originated elsewhere and were dependent on capitalization provided by Jewish private banks. While among Jews ownership was divorced from technical competence, the prototypical gentile entrepreneur was the "inventor-artisan" whose technical competence was crucial to the success of the company. Whereas technical competence and inventiveness were crucial to the success of the prototypical gentile firms, among Jews success was related to having access to capital or to having "commercial flair and the ability to inspire confidence" (p. 312).
Old 11-19-2006, 11:44 PM
kane123123/Eagle Eye/stumbler/iceman kane123123/Eagle Eye/stumbler/iceman is offline
password phisher -> Banned

And yet people still rant and rave about how jews have had only negative influence on society. I mean, politically, they have been very liberal, but you take out jews and the world substantially reduced technology-wise.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 AM
God protect and guide Trump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane123123
And yet people still rant and rave about how jews have had only negative influence on society. I mean, politically, they have been very liberal, but you take out jews and the world substantially reduced technology-wise.
Seriously, do you even scan an article before you start typing this sort of Jew-worshipping nonsense? From the article:

Quote:
In this regard, it is worth mentioning that economic historians have noticed that Jewish economic activity has tended not to be characterized by technological innovation related to mechanical abilities tapped by tests of visuo-spatial abilities (i.e., Performance IQ). Thus, Mosse (1987, 166) suggests that the distinguishing features of Jewish economic activity in 19th-century Germany are to be found "less in outright innovation or invention than in a special aptitude for economic 'mediation' in the forms of the export of German goods, of 'secondary innovation', technology transfer through the introduction into Germany of processes and methods observed abroad, and new techniques for the stimulation of demand."

My ideology: [1][2] | The Voice of Reason Broadcast Network - Dare to know!

Old 11-20-2006, 12:55 AM
kane123123/Eagle Eye/stumbler/iceman kane123123/Eagle Eye/stumbler/iceman is offline

Your point is noted, I read only half of it, however most Jewish contributions to techonology are not in germany. So I don't think this article truly refutes that.

This quick posting is probably largely a result of my attempt to get over 1000 posts.

Last edited by kane123123/Eagle Eye/stumbler/iceman : 11-20-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Ronin

Quote:
Your point is noted, I read only half of it, however most Jewish contributions to techonology are not in germany. So I don't think this article truly refutes that.

Do you have reason to believe that the Jewish intellectual profile differs in other European nations?
There is an ancient story that King Midas hunted in the forest a long time for the wise Silenus, the companion of Dionysus, without capturing him. When Silenus at last fell into his hands, the king asked what was the best and most desirable of all things for man. Fixed and immovable, the demigod said not a word, till at last, urged by the king, he gave a shrill laugh and broke out into these words: "O wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is -- to die soon." ~The Birth of Tragedy
Old 11-21-2006, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios Panoptes
Do you have reason to believe that the Jewish intellectual profile differs in other European nations?
I'm actually thinking America here.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Ronin

Quote:
I'm actually thinking America here.

Quote:
There is only one study of the intelligence of American Jews in the last half century which appears to be representative and had a reasonable sample size. This is Backman’s (1972) analysis of the data in Project Talent, a nationwide American survey of the abilities of 18- year-olds carried out in 1960. The study had sample sizes of 1,236 Jews and 1,051 white gentiles (in addition to 488 blacks and 150 Orientals). IQs for six factors were calculated. The mean IQs of the Jews in relation to gentile white means of 100 and standard deviations of 15 were as follows: verbal knowledge (described as “a general factor, but primarily a measure of general information” and identifiable with Carroll’s (1993) gc or verbal comprehension factor - 107.8; English language – 99.5; mathematics – 109.7; visual reasoning (“a measure of reasoning with visual forms”) – 91.3; perceptual speed and accuracy – 102.2; memory (short term recall of verbal symbols) – 95.1.

Richard Lynn's summary of Patterns of Mental Abillities: Ethnic, Socioeconomic, and Sex Differences by Margaret E. Backman, American Educational Research Journal, Vol, No 1, pp. 1-12, 1972.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:11 AM

No, no, I'm not disagreeing that ashkenazis have a disproportionately high verbal iq compared to the spacial iq, what I'm saying is that in America, where jews have been given freedom in a way that they weren't in tzarist Russia or Nazi Germany, their contributions to Science and general level of prestige has been rather substantial. People were implying that this is not true and that what I disagree with, I knew about the whole IQ thing before I even read this article.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Established member

If a minority group with higher than average verbal aptitude can appropriate the economic rewards that are created by the pragmatic technological (engineering, etc.,) talents of others, as this article seems to be affirming, it seems to me that it is equally possible that the same verbal talents could just as easily be used to appropriate the credit for the intellectual innovations of other groups. This could be a possible alternative explanation for apparent Jewish dominance of the sciences.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Chinesium Alloy

It seems odd that while Jewish IQ is supposedly strongest in verbal intelligence and less so in visuo-spatial IQ, they win more Nobel Prizes in Physics than in Literature. Perhaps this shows the subjective nature of Nobel Prizes outside the hard sciences. All the same, it seems kind of petty to me when people talk about Jews "stealing" other people's inventions and Einstein being a plagiarist and so forth.

"Truly important and significant hypotheses will be found to have 'assumptions' that are wildly inaccurate descriptive representations of reality, and, in general, the more significant the theory, the more unrealistic the assumptions" - Milton Friedman

"My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened." - Michel de Montaigne

My thoughts on climate change: "The supreme function of statesmanship is to provide against preventable evils. In seeking to do so, it encounters obstacles which are deeply rooted in human nature. One is that by the very order of things such evils are not demonstrable until they have occurred: at each stage in their onset there is room for doubt and for dispute whether they be real or imaginary. By the same token, they attract little attention in comparison with current troubles, which are both indisputable and pressing: whence the besetting temptation of all politics to concern itself with the immediate present at the expense of the future. At all events, the discussion of future grave but, with effort now, avoidable evils is the most unpopular and at the same time the most necessary occupation for the politician. Those who knowingly shirk it deserve, and not infrequently receive, the curses of those who come after."