The Phora  

Go Back   The Phora > The Academy > Psychology
User Name
Password
Blog Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Psychology The study of the mind, brain, and behavior.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Town Crier

Default Forget good cop, bad cop - here's the real psychology of two-person interrogation

We're all familiar with the good cop, bad cop interrogation technique so often portrayed in TV and film. In reality, at least in the UK, when two officers perform a joint suspect interview, one of them asks the questions and the other simply takes notes. That doesn't mean the double-interviewer set-up can't be exploited to make it easier to spot whether a suspect is lying.

In a new study Samantha Mann and her colleagues tested the effect of the demeanour of the note-taking interviewer. Over 100 hundred students and university staff were allocated to either tell the truth in answering detailed questions about a real job they really had, or they were asked to lie and answer questions about a fictional job.

After having three days to prepare, the participants were invited to a psychology lab for questioning. A female interviewer with a neutral style asked the questions (e.g. "If you were training me to do your job for a day, what things would I need to know about it?") while a second male interviewer took notes. Crucially, this male interviewer either struck a supportive demeanour (smiling and nodding his head), a neutral demeanour, or acted as if he had suspicions (frowning and shaking his head). The participants were incentivised with the promise of a £5 reward if they fooled the interviewers.

Here's the headline result - the truth-telling participants gave more detailed answers than the liars, but only when the second interviewer provided a supportive presence. This runs entirely counter to the aggressive questioning styles so often portrayed in fiction. By creating a reassuring atmosphere, the second interviewer encouraged the honest interviewees to open up more, which made the the lack of detail given by liars stand out.

Another sign of deception was the amount of negative comments made by liars about their (fictional) boss. But again, this difference only appeared when the second note-taking interviewer acted supportive. Mann and her team said this was the first time a study had shown the beneficial lie-detecting effect of having a supportive second interviewer.

The findings weren't all as the researchers expected. They thought that liars would look more at the second interviewer than the truth-tellers did, but this didn't happen, perhaps because he seemed unimportant.

A final cue to deceit was that liars engaged in more "deliberate eye contact" - moments when they held the gaze of the first interviewer for slightly longer than seems normal. This contradicts the myth that liars avoid eye-contact, but it's not clear how useful this finding is because what counts as "longer than normal" is subjective.

Like all studies of this kind, it's important to remember the dangers of extrapolating too readily to real-life scenarios. These were low-stakes lies and no real criminals or police officers were involved.

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot....sychology.html

AAARGH - We have books for FREE DOWNLOAD / VHO - The World's Largest Website for Historical Revisionism

PHDNM : découvrez le révisionnisme en trente minutes ! / Der Revisionismus in Dreißig Minuten / La shoah è una truffa

"The Gas Chambers": Yet One More False Witness / THE JEWISH GAS CHAMBER HOAX

Send a Card to JAILED REVISIONISTS

Wolfgang FRÖHLICH -JVA Stein - Steiner Landstr 4 - A-3504 Kreims-Stein / Wachau - NO - AUSTRIA

Horst MAHLER - Anton Saefkow Allee 22 - D-14772 Brandenburg /Havel - GERMANY

Axel Möller - JVA Bützow - Kühlungsborner Str. 29a - D-18246 Bützow - GERMANY

Gerhard Ittner - JVA St. Georgen - Markgrafenallee 49 - D-95448 Bayreuth - GERMANY
Old 11-23-2013, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

This article misses the point. "Good cop bad cop" is largely example of the scientifically verified compliance technique known as fear-then-relief. Basically, after a person is frightened and his fear relieved, he becomes unusually open to persuasion in the immediate aftermath of the fear discharge. This works because such requests are associated with the relief for which the subject is grateful. Additionally, his heightened emotional arousal inhibits rationality. In order for it to work, the "bad cop" must frighten the suspect, who is already in a threatening situation, with aggression, belligerence, and threats. The good cop then discharges the suspect's fear and gets a confession. The routine is also an example of reciprocity, another proven compliance technique. By coming to the suspect's defense, the good cop renders the suspect indebted to him, making it harder to deny his requests. Often he will do a small favor like giving the suspect a drink in order to increase the reciprocity demand.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM
You Rang?

Technically, it should be called Actual Cop/Transparently-Bullshit Friendly Cop.

Probably the only truly honest moment in a Tarantino movie: the wide grins on the faces of the Reservoir Dogs when they open the trunk of Madsen's car. Maybe that's what they mean by desensitization to violence, maybe not, but with each subsequent viewing of that movie you look forward with greater and greater anticipation to hearing "Stuck in the Middle With You".
Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios Panoptes
This article misses the point. "Good cop bad cop" is largely example of the scientifically verified compliance technique known as fear-then-relief. Basically, after a person is frightened and his fear relieved, he becomes unusually open to persuasion in the immediate aftermath of the fear discharge. This works because such requests are associated with the relief for which the subject is grateful. Additionally, his heightened emotional arousal inhibits rationality. In order for it to work, the "bad cop" must frighten the suspect, who is already in a threatening situation, with aggression, belligerence, and threats. The good cop then discharges the suspect's fear and gets a confession. The routine is also an example of reciprocity, another proven compliance technique. By coming to the suspect's defense, the good cop renders the suspect indebted to him, making it harder to deny his requests. Often he will do a small favor like giving the suspect a drink in order to increase the reciprocity demand.
The technique works so well that 30% of convicts, who were later proven innocent of the crime, were convicted with the evidence of signed confessions.
It is an interesting study on human nature the number of people who will allow themselves to be placed in a interrogation room for three, five, eight hours when they could have at any time simply left. All our talk of freedom seems to have reverse effect, it's not a right, but a priviledge.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Interlocutor

Say nothing until an attorney's present...categorically affirm this right after the Miranda reading. Cops regard themselves as members of the Prosecutor's "team". They are not your friends...especially in politically-charged "crimes":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL_2lT8DojM 
Old 11-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Loan Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios Panoptes
Often he will do a small favor like giving the suspect a drink in order to increase the reciprocity demand.

Popular theory is that if the defendant accepts the drink he is guilty but if he refuses it he is not guilty.

Best to just tell them up front that you're going to jury selection and you have nothing to say except for that you don't give a shit that you're going to county jail for six months with a bunch of screaming niggers because you're still going to have your day in court.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in FL
Popular theory is that if the defendant accepts the drink he is guilty but if he refuses it he is not guilty.

If you get arrested in the early evening, you get nothing to drink for 12 hours at best (assuming you're not thirsty when you arrive). Last time they picked me up, I made a deafening racket until some fat little piggie got up. I mean the least he could do is give me a drink; from a water machine within my line of sight.

Quote:
Best to just tell them up front that you're going to jury selection and you have nothing to say except for that you don't give a shit that you're going to county jail for six months with a bunch of screaming niggers because you're still going to have your day in court.

I was telling them that I wasn't talking before they cuffed me. There was no detective to talk to for 5 hours and when he showed up, he took down my personal details, but didn't try to interrogate me which would have been utterly pointless. They pressured my girl hard and tried to make her doubt my character on the basis of my history, but it didn't work. It took 3-4 days for her to arrange my discharge because I got a judge who had no clue about my case and saw it as the people's rep presented it, which was as yet more violent conduct, so bail was exorbitant considering the situation.

I have no question that I'll win this Mickey Mouse case. The stupid cunt complainant belongs in the deepest, darkest, dingiest dungeon