The Phora  

Go Back   The Phora > The Academy > Genetics
User Name
Password
Blog Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Genetics From genes to memes. The scientific study of heredity.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Established member

Default Hereditary Disorders Amongst the Amish.

I have read on these forums about the genetic diseases found amongst the Jews. But around where I live, there is an ethno-religious group called the Amish. You can't get more Aryan than the Amish. They are all from German speaking countries, and still speak a Low German dialect amongst themselves. But the Amish have inherited strange disorders, just like the Jews, because of centuries of inbreeding. Coincidently enough, the Amish even sort of look like ultra-orthodox Jews. Here are some articles about some of the medical conditions they are experiencing. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in700519.shtml http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...and-the-amish/ Here are pictures of the Amish.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:58 AM
entrepreneur

i quite fancy living in an amish community for some reason.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:51 AM
entrepreneur

amish life photos, worth a look

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/amish_..._fall_2004.htm
Old 03-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Established member

They look like Jews because they have hats and beards?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 AM
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklehopper
i quite fancy living in an amish community for some reason.
Me too. They need to start bringing in some new recruits. New young men and women, to head off their genetic disaster.

I remember in Lamoni, Iowa seeing a "play group" that included a Mennonite girl, probably 12 or so, who was terribly retarded and crippled. I knew at the time it was a gene thing from too much inbreeding. It was very sad. A creature dressed in the feminine Mennonite attire, convulsive on the floor. What anguish for a parent. Time for recruits.

I looked at all those photos. I must say that it is not a really prepossessing group to look at. It seems they show the signs of genetic depletion just in the mediocrity of their faces. There is a lack of aesthetic vitality in their looks at this point.

I greatly admire and respect the Amish and like groups. It is time for them to do some outreach and bring in some good young men and women to freshen and broaden their genes. (Not scientific words, but you know what I mean.)

Last edited by Mentious : 03-28-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:48 AM
entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentious
Me too. They need to start bringing in some new recruits. New young men and women, to head off their genetic disaster.

I remember in Lamoni, Iowa seeing a "play group" that included a Mennonite girl, probably 12 or so, who was terribly retarded and crippled. I knew at the time it was a gene thing from too much inbreeding. It was very sad. A creature dressed in the feminine Mennonite attire, convulsive on the floor. What anguish for a parent. Time for recruits.

I looked at all those photos. I must say that it is not a really prepossessing group to look at. It seems they show the signs of genetic depletion just in the mediocrity of their faces. There is a lack of aesthetic vitality in their looks at this point.

could just be the beards, hairstyles and expressions. I was surprised at how everyday the faces were. There seems to be more of a mix as well. I was expecting all northern europe nordic, but you can see the southern dark types also.

Something about the basic values is attractive to me. the only drawback is that if all humans become amish in approach we are not likely to develop technology to protect the earth from meteorites or rekindle the sun. Well i am sure i could live without that drawback.

it would be good if there were amish run retirement communities where non amish can settle and retire amish style, or they could have branch communities or hostels where younger non amish could move in and live on probation to see how they do.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Established member

Quote:
Something about the basic values is attractive to me. the only drawback is that if all humans become amish in approach...
I don't think it's valid to decide a thing based on "if all humans did it." Fact is "all humans" WON'T do any on particular thing. Everybody has his path and his destiny. In a university, you can find just a small handful taking very advanced courses, according to their abilities and interests.
Quote:
...in approach we are not likely to develop technology to protect the earth from meteorites or rekindle the sun. Well i am sure i could live without that drawback.
Hah. Yes, you could live without that drawback and plenty of stupid people would remain out there to help protect the earth from meteorites.

Live pure and the nightmares lift. Something must be wrong with the Amish though now. Because they are getting some major nightmares in the form of defective children.

Last edited by Mentious : 03-28-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Hedmarken for hedmarkinger!

I surfed the picture site of the Amish, and it struck me that they were really ugly.