The Phora  

Go Back   The Phora > The Academy > Miscellaneous
User Name
Password
Blog Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous Discuss topics that don't fit into any specific forum.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Town Crier

Default Is being vegan the most ethical way to live?

Is being vegan the most ethical way to live?

Reducing meat consumption is important, but going vegan may not solve all our problems...

There’s been a rumour that the grains on which vegan and vegetarian diets are based have a higher footprint than raising livestock, aka the “grain drain”. It’s a myth. While some crops have a shocking eco profile (soy, for example, grown in deforested monocultures), in 2005 one-third of the world’s cereal harvest went to feed livestock.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...an-lucy-siegle

AAARGH - We have books for FREE DOWNLOAD / VHO - The World's Largest Website for Historical Revisionism

PHDNM : découvrez le révisionnisme en trente minutes ! / Der Revisionismus in Dreißig Minuten / La shoah è una truffa

"The Gas Chambers": Yet One More False Witness / THE JEWISH GAS CHAMBER HOAX

Send a Card to JAILED REVISIONISTS

Wolfgang FRÖHLICH -JVA Stein - Steiner Landstr 4 - A-3504 Kreims-Stein / Wachau - NO - AUSTRIA

Horst MAHLER - Anton Saefkow Allee 22 - D-14772 Brandenburg /Havel - GERMANY

Axel Möller - JVA Bützow - Kühlungsborner Str. 29a - D-18246 Bützow - GERMANY

Gerhard Ittner - Bärenschanzstr 68 - D-90429 Nürnberg - GERMANY
Old 04-07-2015, 02:32 PM
So... how's that integration working out for you?

I enjoy Scotch Fillet (Rib Eye Steak) and Lamb Shanks far too much to become vegan.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Hello World

"Is being vegan the most ethical way to live?" Obviously, going vegan is not the only ethical choice we can make. Quantifying which ethical choice is the most ethical can be a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

But I do think at this point that going vegan is something everyone should consider very seriously. And not only for altruistic motives, but also for health reasons (physical and mental). Factory farming practices can only be sustained with huge amounts of antibiotics which inevitably leads to development of antibiotic-resistant "super bugs". In addition, of course, the meat addiction is unsustainable, and is wrecking the environment, which means the future for the human race is looking bleaker by the minute.
A traveller cannot carry,

Less good than belief would have it
Is mead for the sons of men:
A man knows less the more he drinks,
Becomes a befuddled fool.
-- From Håvamål
Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Established member

In regards to the treatment of animals it is, unless the world depopulates, and people go back to hunting.

As far as health goes though, no fucking way!! So many vegetarians are so weak and sickly looking, and the ones who do look healthy go to extreme measures to be that way. They take dietary supplements, and have to eat a ridiculously wide variety of foods to stay healthy. Without modern supplements, processed foods, and access to a wide range of foods it would be very hard to stay healthy as a vegetarian.

Humans are not pure plant eaters. We can't digest cellulose, and most of the plant material we eat rots in are colon. While we can fully digest meat, despite what vegetarian propagandists say, and our digestive system is designed for eating it.

IMO, a omnivorous diet is what is most healthy for humans.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey
In regards to the treatment of animals it is, unless the world depopulates, and people go back to hunting.
Significant depopulation appears implausible, unfortunately.
Quote:
As far as health goes though, no fucking way!! So many vegetarians are so weak and sickly looking, and the ones who do look healthy go to extreme measures to be that way. They take dietary supplements, and have to eat a ridiculously wide variety of foods to stay healthy. Without modern supplements, processed foods, and access to a wide range of foods it would be very hard to stay healthy as a vegetarian.
I don't think vegetarians are any more sickly-looking than the average person. In fact, I think the opposite is true. There are only a few supplements we need to take, possibly none if we eat certain fortified foods and get sufficient sunlight to synthesize vitamin D. And we have access to more than sufficient amounts of varied foods, at least here in the civilized western parts of the world.
Quote:
Humans are not pure plant eaters. We can't digest cellulose, and most of the plant material we eat rots in are colon. While we can fully digest meat, despite what vegetarian propagandists say, and are digesestive system is designed for eating it.
I don't think "rots" is the most descriptive term. "Ferments" would be a better choice of words. Countless studies suggest fiber is a good for us, and that the amount of fiber is generally too low in the average diet. I also think our digestive system is better able to handle plant-based food than meat. I would not advise you to switch to a diet of raw meat, for example.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Established member

I would not suggest eating raw poultry, that is for sure. Either death or sickness will follow that. However, eating raw red meat might not be that bad? I feel better when I eat rare meat[ red meat] than meat that is overcooked. I feel pretty certain that I digest the under cooked meat [ red meat] better/quicker than the fully cooked meat.

I have limited experience with vegan foods, but I've tried soy products, and found them to be pure garbage! I think they are fucking poison! Just looking at vegans when I pass vegetarian restaurants I see very skinny weak looking people patronizing those establishments . Vegetarianism was very trendy in my neck of the woods many years back, and the people who got into it were not very healthy, although they were not good vegetarians either. They would order a burger and toss the meat, living off of rice and vegetables. They were basically complete idiots who had no concept of good nutrition .

Notwithstanding, even for someone who does understand proper nutrition, finding good protein sources can be tricky as a vegan. For example: Soy, IMO, is just pure poison. Even if your not concerned about the photo-estrogen [ plant estrogen] the protein powder variety of soy is so heavily processed it is utter crap! I know there are alternatives to soy now, but I am still quite biased towards veganism due to the bullshit vegans tried to push on people back when vegainsm was starting to get popular. Pushing soy as a kind of miracle food, when it turns out it wasn't that healthy even in its raw unadulterated state, and its pure crap in its heavily processed form, which is how its almost always sold to the public.

Hemp, and various other plant proteins when mixed can be complete proteins, and someone can survive on them, but I don't feel they are as good as meat. For example, most athletes will perform better while eating a diet containing meat. I think as well, that if you are a natural athlete [ someone who doesn't use performance enhancing drugs] that the meat diet will make a even greater difference.

While most vegetarians look unhealthy to me in a kind of weak emaciated way. I did forget about the average American who makes the guy in my avatar look fit. So I guess in comparison they don't look so bad.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:59 PM
hUhLod8pDhU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey

You don't need to eat meat and you need to keep in mind that Vegetarians, eat dairy and eggs. Going Vegetarian for a while is a good way to detox. As meat contains a lot of protein, which is hard on your liver and renal system.

Vegetarians tend to be deficient in complex lipids that are really only found in fish oils (flax seeds are no good) and iron. Vegetarian diets tend to be high in fats. Other than that it's a perfectly healthy diet. However Veganism most certain isn't.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Abstractor of the quintessence

Vegans consider themselves the elite of the vegetarian world. Many actually look down on regular vegetarians. Oh, so you eat eggs and wear leather shoes, they quip with a snarky undertone.
These are the same people who don't bath very often because they believe meat is what causes body odor. Meanwhile, they have funky body odor wafting from every dirty pore on their body. Meat is murder but hey, lets all eat heavily processed soy pressed into the shape of a turkey. I know one crazy vegan who won't even eat honey, because it's an 'animal product'

Humans obviously have the teeth and digestive track of an omnivore. While too much meat in ones diet can be detrimental, so can the absence of it. Consuming enough protein and amino acids can be difficult for a vegetarian, especially for a vegan. Many vegans I've met are indeed skinny, appear malnourished and often suffer from stage 4 shitlib delusional thinking.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Established member

Vegetarianism is a form of asceticism, a milder version of fasting. The stoics were vegetarians precisely for this reason.

Now asceticism is merely a mean to an end, and it certainly has nothing to do with "ethics". This PETA nonsense is just an extreme and morbid form of individualism applied to animals. There's nothing really noble about it in principle, all though in practice they do have a point when it comes to the industrial slaughtering of animals, which in itself is also an aberration.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregz
You don't need to eat meat and you need to keep in mind that Vegetarians, eat dairy and eggs. Going Vegetarian for a while is a good way to detox. As meat contains a lot of protein, which is hard on your liver and renal system.

Vegetarians tend to be deficient in complex lipids that are really only found in fish oils (flax seeds are no good) and iron. Vegetarian diets tend to be high in fats. Other than that it's a perfectly healthy diet. However Veganism most certain isn't.

My apologies. I tend to think of vegetarianism and veganism as the same. I used the word vegetarian when I was still meaning vegan. If you eat eggs and dairy, as you said, a person should be ok doing that.